Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

JD 1010 gas crawler with 6 way blade

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MIKE FRENCH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: JD 1010 gas crawler with 6 way blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wondering what a JD 1010 Gas crawler with 6 way blade in nice shape is worth? 50% UC, good paint, runs good, thanks in advance, Mike

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: JD 1010 gas crawler with 6 way blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dig deeper, the 1010C and 2010C models have serious issues. Parts are very hard if not impossible to find and extremely pricey if found.
I would look for a JD 350 or later model. If you do not need that much weight, look for a 440C.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: JD 1010 gas crawler with 6 way blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If as good as you say, probably $4000 to $5000.
1010 can be a great little crawler if not too abused.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: JD 1010 gas crawler with 6 way blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Serious issues? Like what? Give a few specifics on what you claim is so bad.

I've been working on 1010s since they were almost new. They held up just as well as the 350s; just smaller and did less work. 1010s are also lighter and easier to truck around.

1010 gas is basically a 440 with a four-cylinder engine just about the same size as the older two-cylinder. Four small pistons instead of two big ones. One big improvement with the 1010 over the 440 is the hydraulic reverser which worked great, and was later used in the 350s.

As far a parts go? Engine parts are more scarce if buying new, but how many times are you going to rebuild an engine? Do it once and forget about it, if you take care of it. For a homeowner machine, constant engine rebuilding should not be an issue. If you're contractor and using a machine everyday, I don't think I'd want a 1010 or a 350. Many major parts for 350s have been dropped by Deere.

As to used parts? If you think somehow that used 350 crawler parts are cheaper then 1010 crawler parts, you're dreaming (except a few are the same on both machines).

dlplost
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: JD 1010 gas crawler with 6 way blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with either the 1010c or the 2010c.
We have the 2010c Diesel with the 6 way blade.
see the link below..

Most problems with these machines were caused by a lack of or improper maint.

Things to check, YOU, not HIM, run it in ALL gear ranges, make shure it will shift properly thru ALL the gears including HI, LOW and Reverse.
Make shure it steers left and right corectly in both foreward and reverse.
Just like the 350 and 450, any repairs will be expensive.

You'll love the 6 way blade, it's the best.
JD 2010C

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 1010 gas crawler with 6 way blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jdemaris, Of course much of this is opinion, just like with automobiles. Some people cuss a particular brand while others swear by them.
I respect your opinions, I would expect the same from you.
I was specifically speaking of the gas model and I don't think I was clear on that part.
The gas engine in these is known to have low power in some cases, and no one seems to able to correct it. Parts for all of them are expensive, but parts for these have been scarce almost from the day they stopped making them. There are few aftermarket parts that I have found, so that means you have to pay JD prices.
There are other opinions but I am not looking for a confrontation, just wanted to express what I knew.
He could buy it and it be the best thing since sliced bread, or he may wish he had cut it up for scrap like bread.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 1010 gas crawler with 6 way blade Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've seen the opposite over the years (comparing gas to diesel). 1010 owners with gas engines tended to be happier owners then those with diesels. 1010 was the first Deere to use the Stanadyne rotary-pump injection system. Subsequently, there were many changes made in the diesel system along the way and many early parts became scarce fast. The other problem was that of basic ignorance when it comes to diesels. That with the owners and the shops working on them.

As to power complaints, I suspect many were not cognizant of the fact that the 1010 gas engine is only 115 cubic inches, the older two-cylinder 420-440 was 113 cubic inches. The four-cylinder was almost exactly the same size as the old two-cylinder, but I suspect people seeing four cylinders expected it was bigger.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1