Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

john deere B

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy White
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hello all! I am now a owner of a 1939 john deere B that was originally a duel fuel tractor. problem is that someone swiped the valve and shutters and I would just assume convert it to burn gas anyways. my question is, what all is involved? do I need to step up the compression, change carburator, change the head, what needs to be done? see I'm new to john deere's an could use any help possible. If this were a farmall I wouldnt be so lost! ha! ha!If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it! also if anyone could point me to getting parts like a shifter cover for the transmission or other rare parts for this would be greatly appreciated as well! THANKS FOR READING?

Kurt_JDB
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jeremy,

Your tractor will run fine on gas. But If you want to up the horsepower, you could put gas pistons in it to up the compression, and put a gas manifold on it as well. I think you could also change the nozzel out in the carb if you really want to get into it.

Ebay is one place to get parts. There are also numerous salvage yards specializing in JD two cylinder stuff. Pat browning has a list on his site. Two Cylinder magazine also lists numerous vendors.

Kurt

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can step up the compression by installing new pistons. So far as I know the only pistons available now are "M&W style" which are just a bit higher compression than factory gas pistons. If you install gas pistons you should also install a gas manifold.

The heads were the same on Deere tractors (unlike farmalls) regardless of fuel type except for the model 70, so you dont have to worry about that. You may just want to install hardened valve seats to your head.

Just have your head and block milled enough to make them flat and nothing else. The compression gains are nominal and you begin to have problems like the push rods being too long.

I think you should have a DLTX 10 carburetor. I'm unsure if there is any type of gas nozzle available for that carb or not. You can call Roberts carb repair and ask.

You could also install a DLTX 67 carb off a later B which would have a gas nozzle and a larger bore. It may help it breathe a bit better.

PBrowning
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are familar with Farmalls, then treat your "B" as you would a Farmal H or M. They always were designed to burn gasoline just fine, and wil continue to do so - no need to change the engine! As for more power - if I wanted more power, I'd find a bigger tractor!(PatB)

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pat, I see your point to some degree, but the reason they were low compression was simply to burn cheap fuels. Those fuels are no longer avaialble except for the rare exception and if found certianly are no longer cheap.

In later years Deere made the same tractor with either option with the gasoline making more HP. There WAS a reason for this change!

I am of the opinion if you have to buy new pistons why not put gas pistons in? It is easier to find new pistons and they will give more performance to boot. I think a guy would have to leave his brain in his back pocket to not use gas pistons unless he has the hope of one day burning heavy fuels in his/her tractor.

I have never used anything but gas pistons in any of my rebuilds and have never been sorry of the power advantage and efficiency.

PBrowning
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh this I fully realize. But to be sure, I doubt very seriously that anyone will buy a JD-B tractor today to farm with and depend upon to pull the load. Outside of pullers, I would venture that 95 out of every 100 B tractors in use today are in hobby use. And yes, some may even be used to cut the grass, but that hardly justifies a gasoline upgrade of the engine. I consider it a matter of economics. (PatB)

Kurt_JDB
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

'Course there are some of us who are crazy enough to convert a gas machine back to all-fuel status.

I have a '51 B that left the factory as an all-fuel but was converted at some point to gas only. I have rounded up an all-fuel manifold as well as a NOS set of all-fuel pistons and rings.

Why? Just 'cause I could say it was all original and could burn kerosene or number 2 heating oil.

Kurt

B-maniac
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pat , I believe you gave the perfect answer to his question. He obviously doesn't wish to open the engine if he don't have to . He doesn't know that much about JD,s anyway. He just wants to burn gas and wondered if there was anything he MUST do to that end. Just fill it with gas and enjoy it. And like Pat said , if it aint enough power , get an "A" or even a late "B". Some like to enjoy their tractors as apposed to "working" on them all the time.

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I admire you for it. I"m too impatient to wait on the parts to roll around. It would be neat to have one operating as it was intended. I"ve heard the sound and smells are distinct.

pbb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I read on here a couple years back of people running 50/50 gas and diesel mixed in a model D.Is there anybody that has tried that?what is the advantages?

Kevin Thurman
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You dont need to do anything. I have a few of these myself a 1937 and a 1944 both are set up as all- fuel like they were from the factory and both run fine on gas.

Jeremy White
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to ALL! I"m gonna have to go through the motor anyways because this tractor sat out so long that the rear end is stuck. Hey, I cant complain it was given to me for FREE as long as I gave it a good home. pretty much am determined to fix it and let my wife play around with it as she is more of a john deere nut than me! HA! HA!

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say that the "Rear-end is stuck"....

Could it just be that the Brakes are stuck, or that it was left to set because it is stuck in 2 Gears..?

Something to ponder, before you try to force it to move...!

Ron..

Jeremy White
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Ron for the advice! I believe its stuck in 2 gears. Cause with the wheels off the ground, theyll spin but not in the same direction at the same time. At least I hope thats what it is. We have an International ID-6 thats is famous for this but it usually wouldnt budge at all running that is! Thanks for the thought!

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: john deere B Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now that you have confirmed my suspicions on your engine if you rebore you will have a much easier time buying replacement high compression gas pistons than finding oversized all fuel pistons, as well as having greater size options if you have to go to .090 or .125 over std. size.

If you dont have to bore but do take you engine apart with intentions of installing new rings be sure to inspect your pistons for ring land wear. If the ring moves from top to bottom in the land on the piston you have a problem. It WILL smoke and USE OIL. Nothing like having a tractor painted up a pretty and then it smokes.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2