Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

1200david brown hydraulic problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
charles t. lednum

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: 1200david brown hydraulic problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hello,i have a 1200 david brown that keeps loosing its hydraulic prime . when raising lift arms it makes a squalling noise under the selectamatic knob . in that part of tractor rearend housing . i can park it on a hill and sometimes it will get its prime back , other times i have to break pressure line and bleed it there .could this be a pump issue or a valve issue . any ideas are greatly appreciated . thank you .

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200david brown hydraulic problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2 things I would look at first in the order listed.

Have you ever changed the hydraulic filter and cleaned the bypass screen?

Have you ever changed the short rubber hoses on the steel suction line from the filter housing to the pump(these could be 40+ years old and have pin holes allowing the pump to get air)?

charles t. lednum

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200david brown hydraulic problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i put a clutch in the tractor back last fall and cleaned out the belly and the screen in bottom of trans housing . my hydraulic filter is located on top of rear end housing .i put a new one on today . my 1200 is an early 67 , first one sold in randolph county , north carolina .macon dairy bought it new .i have not replaced the hose , but did tighten clamp on metal supply line .
thanks

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200david brown hydraulic problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is your serial number? Any after the first 5,000 or so should have a paper belly filter too, the numbers started At 700,001. The early ones had a bunch of different parts than the later ones, and they early bits can be hard to find as the later ones were common right up through the 1980's.

If you get in a bind, I have an early 67 parts tractor with most of the hydraulic system intact(a first month built tractor).

Is your oil foamy like the pump is sucking air when it is working?

charles t. lednum

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200david brown hydraulic problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

under my hydraulic filter located on rear end housing , there is a bleeder valve . looks like a grease fitting . i bled it and the fluid there was foamy . where are you located ? also looking for a good 990 to restore . i am in liberty ,north carolina .

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200david brown hydraulic problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Western PA. 990s are a dime a dozen out there. I seem to see 10 of them for every other DB. Good ones are a different story. If they look good, most times they are a pig with lipstick on.

I'd be looking closely at the 3 rubber hoses on your suction line. Snug up or replace all the hose clamps at the very least.

charles t.lednum

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1200david brown hydraulic problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there arent many 990s here . how much are you talking money wise . I might ride up there and get one .my telephone number is 1 336 302 4786 . cell phone that is . give me call if you know of one that can be bought . down here its all 880 or 885 and the rest 1200s . the people that own 990s want sale them . i have never owned a 990 . had a 880 for several years,it was a great little tractor . it had a million hours on it . never gave any trouble .

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1200david brown hydraulic problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

charles t.lednum wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:05:53 07/03/11) there arent many 990s here . how much are you talking money wise . I might ride up there and get one .my telephone number is 1 336 302 4786 . cell phone that is . give me call if you know of one that can be bought . down here its all 880 or 885 and the rest 1200s . the people that own 990s want sale them . i have never owned a 990 . had a 880 for several years,it was a great little tractor . it had a million hours on it . never gave any trouble .

Junk ones bring junk values. $1000 or so. There is a nice one nearby that he wants 4500 for which I think is pretty far out of line. Some decent ones fall in between.

I have a 770 that I bought for a lawnmower, the rest are 12, 13, and 14's. There is a late 885 in the family too. It has been a great tractor. I have resisted the 9's as everyone seems to have one and I like to be different.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1