Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

Ford 3000 Steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rugerzz
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cutting grass yesterday and the tractor would not turn left. It will turn right but when trying to turn left, the steering wheel seems to be unscrewing itself from the housing. The steering wheel will literally rise as you turn. I am just wondering how big of a job this will be and if anyone has had a similiar issue. This tractor unfortunatley does not have p/s.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems to be a lot of guys lately with the same steering problem.
You have the classic symptoms of a failed upper steering shaft bearing. It is a thrust bearing that prevents the shaft from moving upwards when the wheel is turned. All too often those steering boxes are not lubed properly so that upper bearing gets dry and fails.
Steering boxes are very simple devices to repair. You will first need to remove the center hood and the cowl around the fuel tank to get at it.
Then take the upper portion of the column apart and you will see the problem. I suggest you remove the steering arms so you can remove the sector shafts and do a thorough job of inspecting and cleaning. Install new sector seals also. Refill with 90wt and you will probably be good for another 40 years.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The upper thrust bearing in your steering box is shot. Dependent upon your abilities it can be an easy fix but time consuming due to the parts that must be removed to get the steering box off the tractor.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not often you see two posts go online in the same exact second. But I was first. So don't challenge me in a gun fight ala Matt Dillon.
wink

Rugerzz
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all that replied. Any idea of the parts that will be needed ?

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What failed on you is probably part #10 and/or #16.
The seals you want to replace are #34.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You just have your clock set ahead.

Rugerzz
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you get the steering wheel off ? I removed the nut and tried to use a gear puller but the steering wheel is pretty weathered.I t is on there....

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They can get pretty stuck from rust over the years. Soak the shaft under the nut with PB Blast or something similar for a few days, and then put the nut back on loosely, just a few turns, and then stand up on the tractor and grab the wheel with two hands and pull alternately, first one side and then the other back and forth, and put your weight into it. It should break loose after a little while of doing this, and when it does you'll understand why I said to put the nut back on. If the nut's not there to keep the wheel from pulling all of the way off when it breaks loose, you'll probably fall backwards off of the tractor when it does.

Ruger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok, I got the steering completely off the tractor.Figured I would do it right and there was some water mixed in the grease. I have taken the housing off exposing the shaft. I havent seen any bearings however. How do you get the steering shaft loose or should I? I see the square block at the bottom of the steering shaft but I dont see how to remove it. My problem is the tractor will not turn left and the sttering wheel seems to unscrew. Help me get the old girl(02/14/1967)"Valentines day" going again...

MDW
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your symptoms sound a lot like the ones I experienced.
http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=526001
If you do get into escaped balls from the ball nut here is the page Hobo scanned for me.
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4250/steeringgearrepair.jpg
If you click on it might get bigger and a little easier to read.
MDW

Ruger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, I ordered the steering kit and it has two bearings and races in it. I did find on bearing(the casing anyway) inside the housing. Does the steering shaft come out of the housing and a bearing go underneath 9,7 and 8 on previous picture. How do you get it out to replace the lower bearing or should I not worry about that ?

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1