Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

ford 503 hay rake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jstpa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: ford 503 hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought a 503 hay rake last week and found it needs a bearing in the one roller bar. I looked it up and they want $63.00 for one. Does anyone know if it crosses to another supplier or does anybody have a good used one.I'll buy the new one if thats my only choice but was hoping for a little cheaper alternative. p.s. I looked it up on messicks sight. Thank you, jstpa

DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 503 hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I remember right the ford 503 was a re-badged New Idea rake, check agco parts.

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 503 hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have the bearing out just take it to a bearing supply and they will match. If you try NAPA they might match it too.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 503 hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 513 was a rebadged NI... pretty sure the 503 (3-point mounted) was all Ford.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: ford 503 hay rake Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is like my NI, you can second source the bearing. HOWEVER... It won"t be a direct match. NAPA can get replacement bearing, but not that much cheaper. I went to an online bearing supplier out in Washington state,sorry, I don"t remember the name. Got them for about $4 each in lots of ten. Bolt and new nut will set you back about the same.

If I remember correctly bearing is 2" OD, and is mounted on a 3/4" shaft (bolt). You can replace with a standard bearing and a new bolt. You will need to make a shim out of a 2" washer, reaming out the center of the washer to clear the head of the bolt. The bearing is slightly narrower than the origional, thus the shim. Shim goes in cup first, followed by bearing with bolt inside, and finally, snapring and dirt shield. Once you get bolt through hole in star wheel, use an impact wrench to tighten nut.

You may have a major fight on your hands getting bolt back thru the hole in the star wheel - just doesn"t lign up nicely. Loosen bolts that hold star wheels, other bearing bolts, etc. I resorted to placing rake between two tractors, and using come-alongs to spread star wheels enough to get it in. There is tension in the basket, and I"m not sure why.

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1