Miscellaneous
Contact Us
Antique Tractors
Classic Trucks
Kountry Life
YT Forums
Discount Parts

[Home]
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is the modern view of the Today's Tractors Forum. Just login with your YT Userid and password to post. If you have trouble logging in, contact us by email to support at ytmag.com, or through the Reader Form, and we will get you going right away.

Click here to return to Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index

allis chalmers ca hydraulics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Cossolotto
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: allis chalmers ca hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently got a allis chalmers ca tractor. Had noisy hydraulics then they quit working. The pto shaft truns but it "jumpy". The lift arms quit working altogether. Clutch is shot and no brakes. Is there something i can band aide it for now to push snow till spring then go through entire thing?

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: allis chalmers ca hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you can drain the transmission/ hydrualic oil and see what it looks like. If its thick or gummy, that can be a problem. Put in new universal tractor fluid... If the oil is not a problem, then you need to pull hte pump off, flush, excercise it and reinstall and see if that works... if not, internal pump problem. "NOISE" normally means cavitation = thick oil, dirty, etc.

Aaron SEIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: allis chalmers ca hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lift arms work off of the hyd pump. Hyd pump and PTO both work off of the main clutch. It's possible fixing the clutch will fix both problems. Fluid replacement isn't a bad idea either.
AaronSEIA

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: allis chalmers ca hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Aaron might be right. I assumed when you said the clutch was bad that you ment it drags or sticks. If it is not spinning the PTO shaft more than a few RPM, then it is not transfering power to the back end, and therefore will not turn the pump fast enough to pump pressure.. Can you put in gear and drive it, or is the clutch that bad ?

Tony Cossolotto
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: allis chalmers ca hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice gentlemen but I pulled the pto retainer off and found broken shaft. Next question will the back end off any other a/c tractor work or does it have to be an ca? Not afraid of rebuilding it thought bolting a used unit on would be faster and easier. What models do i look for? Thanks again for the advice.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: allis chalmers ca hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can install a CA transmission wiht the rear PTO cover and a CA pump... or you can install a 3 speed B or C transmission with their PTO cover and their hydraulic pump. YOU can not mix and match from teh B-C to the CA.

Tony Cossolotto
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: allis chalmers ca hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgive me for my ignorance, when you say transmission do you mean the entire rear axle assemble, or just the piece that can be removed from the rear axle that houses the pto shaft and the hydraulic pump. my next step was to remove that unit and check for more damage. Through the pto hole I can see what looks like a diferential with some small theeth that are chipped. Thanks again. My farm buddy has an a/c thought maybe we could swap that back part.

Tony Cossolotto
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: allis chalmers ca hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgive me for my ignorance, when you say transmission do you mean the entire rear axle assemble, or just the piece that can be removed from the rear axle that houses the pto shaft and the hydraulic pump. my next step was to remove that unit and check for more damage. Through the pto hole I can see what looks like a diferential with some small theeth that are chipped. Thanks again. My farm buddy has an a/c thought maybe we could swap that back part.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: allis chalmers ca hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the transmission goes from a couplel inches in front of the shift knob, to the rear housing you are talking about. If you take off that rear housing and pump you will see the bevel gear and pinion drive the shaft front to back is driven by the transmission. THe cross shaft with the bevel gear is the reduction to the axle shafts into the differential drop boxes. THERe should be one shaft about 3/4 inch diameter that runs past that, back to the pto box that you removed. I think things changed in this area when the upgrded from the C to the CA tractor. THE hydraulic pump on the CA is twice as big and the PTO box had to be changed to accomplish that. THE top shaft that comes thru the transmission and drives the PTO is also longer. The C and CA transmissions do not share internal parts. I think if you want to change the PTO and hydraulic pump, you will need the entire transmission in front of it also... if you use a smaller B or C transmission... THe larger WC or WD units are not the same either.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: allis chalmers ca hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here is a link to Dicks photos of B-C parts. This is the rear of the transmission, after you take the PTO cover and pummp off, this is what you are looking at. HE has removed the final drive drop box on each side, and pulled the bevel gear and shaft out. YOu can still see the pinion drive, and the top shaft to the PTO.

http://public.fotki.com/DickL/tractor_parts/allis_chalmers_b_c/1945_c_trans_rear.html
Untitled URL Link

Post new topic    Today's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1