Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skyharborcowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I replaced the Hydraulic Filter and did the mod to lower the fluid below the leaking seals on the draft and lift levels and am ready to drain the fluid to replace it with new fluid.

My next question is how much fluid can I expect to get out of each of the 3 drain plugs (my original manuals do not specify amounts) so I dont have a complete mess on my hands. I have 4 five gallon buckets to catch the fluid in.

Thanks,

Joe

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can never get it all out so you'll probably see 10-12 gallons.

Calls for 16.

Allan

Hugh MacKay
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Joe: I've never seen an IH original operator's manual that didn't state how much of each fluid the tractor held. Should be quite simple, can't get more out than what it holds. Well, maybe 25% more when some bozoo over filled it.

georgeky
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Hugh, me and many other bozo's overfill them. so that damn bad O-ring on the suction tube doesn't suck air. Tractor has to be splt to get to it.

skyharborcowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It states that it holds 16 gallons. I am just not sure in which order I should drain and how much fluid I can expect from each one. I have been told in previous posts to over fill the system in order to prevent cavitation of the hydraulic pump. I plan on filling to spec first and then possibly doing the overfill since everyone so far has said that is the way to do it with this tractor.

Thanks,

Joe

MN Scott
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A quick and non messy way to get most of the oil out is put a hose in one of the hydraulic couplers and put the other end in a 30 or 50 gallon oil drum. Start the tractor and pull the hydraulic lever back. At 12 gal per minute it dos'nt take long and if you were going to put the oil back in you would just use a barrel pump, keeps everything nice and clean.

skyharborcowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those options are not available to me Scott.

Thanks,

Joe

TractormanNC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tell it like it is

skyharborcowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got 8 gallons out of the differential Case.

The middle plug snapped off the square drive

The front plug requires a 5/16th internal square drive (never even heard of one of those before!

I cannot understand gorilla mechanics. The rear diff drain bolt I had a ratchet and a 5' breaker bar pulling with everything I had before it would even budge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am going to go hunting for a 5/16 square drive now. The other plug is in there for life! It snapped clean off and there is no easy out that is going to get that out as tight as the last monkey put it in there!

Joe

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't even mess with the other plug(s).

Put the one ya got out back in and fill 'er up.

Allan

skyharborcowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Allan,

That is what I did. I over filled it about 5 gallons and there is no more cavitation. Everything seems fine.

I also noticed that the plate with two bolts holding it on was smashed and ripped. I welded it and filed it smooth. The gasket was ripped as well. Does any fluid get into that cavity? There was some sludgy black tar in there. The Case dealer didnt have that gasket in stock would it be OK just to seal it with RTV for now?

Joe

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What plate are you talking about?

Local Red Shop here uses RTV sealer all the time. Go sparingly tho.

Allan

Hugh MacKay
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

George: Been there and done that, but it doesn't require 25% over.

Now, kindly tell me who the bozo is in the chicken business. All I could see was MEMO, urgent from the desk of???

skyharborcowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is called the Clutch Cover in the parts catalog. I figure it should be dry. It is Item 15 in the Chassis A-06 Section.

Joe

skyharborcowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Hydraulic Fluid in a 656 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How can I tell if the remote fittings are stock or have been changed? The Case Dealer gave me a male fitting but it was not the correct one? If I were to change them what is the new "Standard" to replace them with?

Joe

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.