Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International V8 in Farmall M

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darrin Stuttgen
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Which would be a better motor for a M farmall, a 304 IH, 345 IH, or 392 IH. What types of modifying do I have to do to make it fit??

Maark

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to talk to Clem Seivert in Granger Iowa. He installed a 345 in a M, also a GM 2.8 in a H. I think he installs a chevy 4 speed tranny locked in 3rd gear in the torque tube to control the ground speed.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All three of those engines are of the same "family", and share a common bellhousing pattern.

There's really NOTHING that would make one "better" than the others.

Of course, more "cubes" is usually a GOOD thing!

scott in SF

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Honestly, why would anyone want to do this. The M motor is ideally suited to the tractor. They are tough and economical. Cheap and easy rebuilds. With a little work on the governor, distributor and carb they make amazing power. If you want something for the freak show have at it. But I am not sure the tractor would be any good for what it was ment for, that is farming.

Darrin Stuttgen
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought the tractor with no motor in it, the guy who i bought it from said the block was cracked so he scrapped the engine. So i thought about making an econo-mod tractor out of it.

Scott in SF

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good luck, it has been done before. Lots of details to work out. I once put a chevy 350 in a Kaiser Jeep 715, a 1 1/4 ton army truck that came with a little 6. I invented enough bad words to fill a dictionary.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An IH 6.9 or 7.3 diesel from a Ford pickup might be kind of neat. Here's a Massey Ferguson 35 that a guy put a Chevy 6.2 diesel into.

Photobucket

Photobucket

JoshuaGA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How About this. Under IH Board. Post something like checkpoints for buying farmall m

Darrin Stuttgen
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there a way in which you could get more pictures because that is exactly what I want to build. Thanks!

Darrin Stuttgen
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow that"s quite a few words. Do you know if I have to modify the frame at all, or if I do will it weaken it? How much rpm can the transmission hold up to? And finally, is 150hp too much for that tractor, if I go with a 345 IH?

slinger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="scott in SF"](quoted from post at 18:14:31 02/06/0Cool Honestly, why would anyone want to do this. The M motor is ideally suited to the tractor. They are tough and economical. Cheap and easy rebuilds. With a little work on the governor, distributor and carb they make amazing power. If you want something for the freak show have at it. But I am not sure the tractor would be any good for what it was ment for, that is farming.[/quote]

why wouldn't some one want to do this. putting a v8 in a tractor makes one powerful tractor. i am looking at getting a farmall m with a weak engine. i am planing to put i v8 in it rather than rebuilding the inline. V8=more power

slinger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Maark"](quoted from post at 14:15:42 02/05/0Cool You need to talk to Clem Seivert in Granger Iowa. He installed a 345 in a M, also a GM 2.8 in a H. I think he installs a chevy 4 speed tranny locked in 3rd gear in the torque tube to control the ground speed.[/quote]

Did he have to lengthen the frame to fit the 4 speed?

slinger
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: International V8 in Farmall M Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="JoshuaGA"](reply to post at 18:31:36 02/07/0Cool [/quote]

Is there a way i might be able to get some more pics also? Im thinking about putting a v8 in a M.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.