Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voltage Regulator Wiring???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldironjunkie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, I'm confused. I bought a 1973 MF31. I got a new voltage regulator and tried to hook it up. It's a 4 wire, 2 coil regulator. Terminals are marked F, 2, 3, and 4. I've got the MF Workshop Service Manual. I've searched this forum. I've looked at Big Dean's schematic. I thought I had it figured out. The old regulator was fried. It had a wire going from terminal 3 to ground on the generator.

I hooked F to Generator F. I hooked 2 to 12v hot, I'm not using the oil pressure switch. I hooked 3 up to 12v hot. My gas gauge doesn't work, so I hooked 4 up to 12v hot. I ran a good ground from the generator ground to one of the regulator mounting bolts. Soooo, F to Field. 2, 3, and 4 to the ignition terminal on my recently replaced ignition switch.

She started right up. Battery voltage started to rise. It kept rising. It was about 15v and I started to wonder. Then I had smoke coming from my new regulator!!! One of the resistors on the back seemed to be overheating.

How should I have hooked it up? I'd switch to an alternator, but I'd loose my tach drive.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have a 10DN Delco ALTERNATOR with external regulator, correct? Otherwise, you have the wrong REGULATOR, you are using it with a GENERATOR!

Delco 10DN... Needs EXTERNAL regulator.

Matching regulator.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have a 10DN Delco ALTERNATOR with external regulator, correct? Otherwise, you have the wrong REGULATOR, you are using it with a GENERATOR!

Delco 10DN... Needs EXTERNAL regulator.

Matching regulator.

oldironjunkie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, Thanks for the quick reply, and the pictures. Yes, you're correct. I do have a 10DN alternator. What should I hook up where???

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A link to Big Dean's schematic you were looking at, please!

oldironjunkie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a link to Big Dean's photo. http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4021200&a=31787580&p=72464528 That's the way it should be connected. I cann't follow that because I don't have the extra starter relay connections, my gas gauge doesn't work, and I'm not using the oil pressure switch or neutral switch.

Here's a link to Big Dean's photo page with other wiring diagrams. http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4021200&a=31787580&f=

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can IGNORE the fuel gauge lead... simply leave the #4 regulator terminal bare.

Since this is a diesl, without an ignition switch, they used the oil pressure switch. You can wire a mechanical switch in place of the oil pressure switch, however, if you forget to shut it off when thediesel gets shut down, you'll drain the battery.

I would simply replace the oil pressure switch.

It should be easy to obtain from an Agco dealer. If you'd like, I can grab some generic pressure switch numbers that can be had through a local auto supply store near you.

oldironjunkie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow. You must live on your computer. Thanks for the rapid replies! I hate to have my tractor down for such a minor problem. It's got bigger problems that need my attention, but at least it runs.

So, I can let the wire off terminal 4. I have 2 and 3 wired to IGN on my generic key switch. That should work, shouldn't it? I haden't thought of the oil pressure switch keeping my battery from being drained if I forgot to turn off the key. That's a good feature. I'll install a new switch. I'm sure i've got one laying around somewhere, but thanks for the offer of finding me a number. How much voltage should this put out before it stops going up? Will the regulator quit smoking after the "new" wears off the resistors on the back? Hopefully I didn't burn it up, yet. I took the cover off, and everything looks good. I've checked it with my meter and can't find any opens.

Here's a link to more of Big Dean's photos that might come in handy, someday. How did we survive without the internet??

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumList?u=4021200&f=0

oldironjunkie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Big Dean's photo has 3 hooked up to the alternator output, hot all the time. If I do this would it drain my battery when the motor was not running? That's why I hooked 2 and 3 to the IGN terminal on my key switch. Do you think there is a voltage difference and I should hook 3 to the "-" terminal on my ammeter? (I ran 10 gauge from alternator output to "-" on my ammeter.)

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, #3 can be "hot" all the time.

The photo shows the #2 terminal fed through the oil pressure switch AND through the starter's "R" terminal WHILE CRANKING.

I would connect #3 (voltage sense) as shown, and feed the #2 terminal though your (temporary) switch, then put it back to the OP switch when you get it replaced.

oldironjunkie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll try that. I'll post my results, but it won't be until tonight. Wife's "honey do" list comes first, or she won't let me buy any more projects. Got to keep momma happy!!

oldironjunkie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage Regulator Wiring??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey, it worked!! 14.5 volts at idle. 15.5 volts at 2000 rpm. Resistors on back of regulator smoked for a while, then stopped. Drove it around for awhile doing chores. Still works. Then left front tire went flat!!! Always something. Bob, thanks for your help.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.