Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3020 syncro-range trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pitchfork
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: 3020 syncro-range trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just got a 3020 with a syncro-range trans that won't go into either reverse. Just grinds. It barely reverses when I feather the clutch.The shifter seems sloppy. Could the linkage be out of wack? The guy I got it from replaced some trans parts but says it didn't help. It has trouble finding certain other gears also. Where do I start? Thanks.

Gerald J.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 syncro-range trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Linkage is very likely to be a problem. Bushings and pins wear after 40 years.

Gerald J.

pitchfork
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 syncro-range trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks but where do I start? Do I just take up the slack. Do I begin with a certain gear?

msb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 syncro-range trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the shift lever out of park and down to where it will go into 1-3-R and jiggle it to be sure the detent is fully engaged. If the lever will not line pefectly with the slot ,adjust the linkage to where the lever will line up prefectly with the center of the slot. To determine which rod to adjust, place the lever in 1st or 3rd and watch to see which rod moved when you shift it into either gear.Try this with all 4 shift stations. You may have to readjust a bit to average the adjustment out among the 4 shift stations.Those old tractors have to be jiggled a lot.lol. I have a couple that I just jiggle rather than to overhaul the shifters etc.

If the shifters are worn prettyy bad where the detents rub, you can help the situation by going to the 2010 ball and socket detents.

Resting Relics 1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 syncro-range trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Pitchfork,
Back in my wrench twisting days when I worked for a John Deere dealer we saw a lot of these syncro problems as these now old twenty series tractors were coming in with lots of hours on them. From my experence your not going to be able to do a little adjusting of the linkage and make it work. I think a major rebuild is probably what you'll end up doing. I would start with rebuilding the entire shifter assembly and all the rods down to the transmission case. It might buy you a little time and you should do this work anyway if you rebuild the Transmission. You will probably have to pull the transmission apart and replace all the syncro packs, upper shaft gears and all the shifter internal cams and detents as I'd bet their worn out. Inspect very closely the lower shaft gears. If this is a high hour tractor you will most likely have to rebuild this shaft also as those gears will all be rounded off. You have to pull the rear end unfortunately to get this shaft out. This is a big job and not cheap but we found trying to do half the job would just come back and bit you. If it needs a rebuild do it all right once and you'll have a good transmission for years to come.
John

pitchfork
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 syncro-range trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I was afraid of that.

pitchfork
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 syncro-range trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll try the easy things first before I rip it apart.

Duane Adkins
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 syncro-range trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you could post updates some of us would appreciate it. All of us that own 3020's may need your soon to be gained experience some day. Thanks, good luck with it.

pitchfork
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 syncro-range trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will do.

dale krueger

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 syncro-range trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

personally id call the junkyard to come get it, 3020s are worthless

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.