Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

O.T. Scrapping old trailer house

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck davis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a whole bunch of grief trying to sell my dads house in Michigan as an additional trailer sits on the property and all prospective buyers have/will probably be FHA.

FHA wants nothing to do with this old trailer(1965 vintage).

I have not checked as to how much it would cost to have it jerked out of there and i dont want it or need it.

I have the tools and trailers to scrap it on sight i just dont know if it would be worth the hassle.

I do know that i am going to have to get rid of the P.O.S. if i want to sell the place.

Any experience,or advice from anyone in a similar situation? Thanks Chuck Davis

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Lightning stike"?

kyhayman
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quite a bit of copper and aluminum to be had in most of those old ones. You might be able to give it to someone who would take it for the scrap and make the rest of it go away.

larry cook
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

know of several different crews around here that call themselves scrappers and stay pretty busy at it. on several occasions i have seen them tearing down and hauling off old mobile homes. talked to this one fella and the way he talked made pretty good money on trailers.

lightning strike would sure work and make it easier though
larry cook

bc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That frame underneath has a lot of metal to be scraped. Same for the metal siding. Also the axles and tires. There is money in it around here, it just takes time. Haul wood to dump. Scrap the a/c coils or list the heater/ac for sale around a trailer park.

Blue3992 (N Illinois)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A friend's dad had an old trailer that he needed to get rid of. I think he offered it to the local fire department, and they burned it on-site as a trainign exercise. Then, they had a loader come out, crush it up, and put it in a big roll-off container.

Might want to call the local Fire department and see what they say.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd get ahold of some of the local scrappers. alot of them have ads in the papers now since scrap pays pretty good. If you have the time do it yourself, but otherwise let someone else have the hassels.

Morty-Alberta

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Offer it for free in the local papers to be taken away, near me people keep dropping them off at the local church camp- wonderful collection they have now.

jimva

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is worth a lil something if you scrap it. I helped a neighbor scrap an old one he had on his property it was about the same vintage, dont remember the length. It took us 3 days and with the the aluminum siding, tin roof, wiring, copper piping, trailer frame, and yes he took the aluminium that was around the glass to the scrap yard he got right at $1800 bucks. This was back in Jan, of this year.

He said that was fine with him, becasue the cheapest price he got on moving it $1,200 bucks to move it. He said if he burned it, it would have cost him over $500 bucks to burn and haul away or hire sumone to bury it.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Chuck,

My gut feeling about scrapping it yourself is that if you're not set up to do that (if it's not something you do regularly) you'll wind up feeling like the money wasn't worth the effort. It depends partly on your inclination toward that kind of hard, dirty, somewhat dangerous work, as well as what value you put on your time.

You could get a very rough estimate of what the scrap is worth by finding out the gross weight, then making WAG's at the proportion of steel, and the total amount of copper. Don't forget to subtract dump fees and hauling expenses. Also, mixed steel scrap brings the lowest scrap price for steel, but sorting/cutting/cleaning is way more work than the increase in value justifies.

I'd put out signs and put it on Craigslist as a free item that has to be hauled away. I sold a single-wide of that vintage two years ago for what was basically the value of the lot it was on. Fortunately, the buyer had a use for the trailer, so I probably got a few buck more than if it hadn't been there. It could just as easily have gone the other way.

Good luck, Stan

RobMD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there any way you can find a neighbor or someone with a track loader to just crush the thing and fold it up?

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would advertise it for free and its the buyer's responsibilty to remove it. Hal

Gun guru
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Advertize it for scrap, U haul away on your truck. If it has kitchen cabinets or anything of value then try to sell it for a few hundred bucks. (where in Michigan is it, I am near Flint)

Bryan in iowa

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a 14 x 70 given to us to use as hunting cabin . had to pay 500 to a farmer to move it for us . Trailer co wanted over 1500,,and up to date tags . this had been sitting in feild for yrs . He said he'd just say he bought it to make hay trailer out of if got stopped. We did some work on it ,,put wood stove in and has been hunting shack for 6 years now

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: O.T. Scrapping old trailer house Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought a mobile home for five bucks to make a hay trailer out of the frame. The plan was to get a few goodies out of it and then rip it apart with the loader and grapple fork and haul it to the burn pile in large chunks. Grabbed a corner with the grapple and it crumpled into little pieces like a potato chip. Ended up throwing all the little pieces into the loader by hand.

I will never do it again!!! Jim

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.