Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1936 Chevy truck 1/2 ton wheel base size?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
santa6957
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: 1936 Chevy truck 1/2 ton wheel base size? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 36 Chevy truck that I just purchased sitting on a Chevy S-10 truck frame. It looks to me like the frame may be too short for the body. Can any one give me some information on what is the best frame to use or is it possible to use the S-10 frame I have? What the wheel base size should be? I would greatly appreciate any help I can get to help this project in the right direction. Thanks

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1936 Chevy truck 1/2 ton wheel base size? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thats a typical street rod problem, several ways to go to fix this, with a s-10 chassis im assuming this is going to be a cruiser, first how much too short is it? im also asuming its the rear wheels that are not centered in the wheel wells of the '36 body, if its just a inch or 2 you might be able to relocate the spring hangers to center the wheels in the center of the trucks fenders, you will need to measure carefully and make sure you have enough frame to do that before the frame kicks up to go over the rear end, if not, or if you need to move the rear axle more you can section and fishplate the frame to get everything lined up, either way you will probably need to have a longer driveshaft made as well as add to the brake lines wiring ect, can you post a pic of the truck so we can see what is wrong?

super 55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1936 Chevy truck 1/2 ton wheel base size? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe you should check out the website below;
and try posting on www.stovebolt.com
frame swap

Hal--WA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1936 Chevy truck 1/2 ton wheel base size? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you considered cutting a section of the pickup box and running boards out in front of the rear fenders, to make it look right on the S10 frame? I think that would be a lot easier and cheaper than lengthening the frame, driveline, cables, etc.

I have seen a couple of old pickups that have been mounted on S10 frames. Both looked like it worked out pretty well. The resulting street rod trucks were reliable and really usable, which are things that quite often don't happen.

I have a 36 GMC half-ton. I have seen quite a few Chevys of about that year, but mine is the only GMC that I have ever seen. Never measured the wheelbase, but I have always thought that the pickup box looks too long proportionally between the back of the cab and the rear fenders. But maybe your truck is a short box.

I would be interested in seeing photos of your project. Using an S10 chassis has seemed to me to be a practical way to get a more modern chassis that you can get parts for easily and cheaply under an old truck. Good luck!

santa6957
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1936 Chevy truck 1/2 ton wheel base size? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for your feed back. I have taken a better look at the truck today because I have only had it for 2 days now. The body parts are all just sitting on the frame, the engine and trans are just sitting in the mounts so I can move things around to see how they fit. I will have to measure the wheel base on the S-10 they used, I think it should be 118? I will check that first before anything else. Currently the engine is mounted without the use of the S-10 conversion mounts and I noticed the engine needs to move back about another 4" to 6". I have the S-10 mounts and they look like they will do the trick. After I get the engine back I will see how the cab and bed follow. I haven't had a chance to take any photos yet but I will post them if I can. I will let you know how the rear bed works out if I need to check out your suggestion on the modification to make it look better. Thanks again.

santa6957
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1936 Chevy truck 1/2 ton wheel base size? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I will check it out.

santa6957
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1936 Chevy truck 1/2 ton wheel base size? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1936 Chevy truck 1/2 ton wheel base size? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

santa, if nothing is bolted down now is the time to take carefull measurments of the body as well as the s 10 frame, you might be able to correct the problem now before anything is final mounted how much is it off, to center the wheels in the '36 wheel openings?

69badzcam

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1936 Chevy truck 1/2 ton wheel base size? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I get home from work today I will take some more measurements and let you know. Thanks

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Yesterday's Trucks All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.