Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Slack in steering on John Deere 2030

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BettyJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, We recently bought a John Deere 2030 (1972). It has a lot of slack in the steering wheel. Haven't got a manuel yet, but have one on order. Everybody says there is no adjustment, just replace the whole thing with a cost of $1500 exchange for a rebuilt one. Can someone help me out here?
Thanks

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure the 'slack' is not in the tye-rod fork up front and check the arm that come down from the steer box, there is a large plug you can pop out and get on the cap screw, I think it's 11/8 socket.

BettyJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I will have my husband check that out tonight or tomorrow if he has time. They had just put new tie rod ends on it.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never heard the story about complete replacement. On 1020s and 2020s, they often come loose at the output shaft of the steering box with the big pitman arm connects. Especially the older coarse-splined units. You can buy a new aftermarket replacement right here on this website at 1/2 the Deere price.

As to problems inside the steering box? 9 out of 10 times an internal problem is due to a large internal o-ring failure. New ones can be installed in less than an hour.

BettyJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am sure releaved to hear that you don"t have to replace the whole thing. We actually bought this from a dealer who is a "friend", but still a dealer. It was traded in by an 80 year old man. The dealer said he did not know of anything wrong with the tractor, but would put it thru his shop and service it, and fix anything needed before delivery. It does seem to be a pretty good tractor, but drives like a worn out,late 60s model Ford pickup, if anyone had ever driven one of those.. I got on it and started down a dirt road between our farms, and was about ready to bale off before I got the slack taken up to steer away from the culvert that I was headed for.
I talked to the dealer today, and he talked to one of his mechanics then called me back. The mechanic said something similar to what you guys have told me. He said they would look at it and see. They are suppose to have a fuel guage and some parts to repair the front coupling that is making a racket on order. We should have not bought it without driving it first, but he never has anything ready until he sells it. They stay that busy. My husband and I will try to check it out ourselves, as it may be a few days before they get to it. I"ll keep you posted, or ask for more help if we find something else. I really appreciate the help. I think this is a great website. Thanks again

BettyJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We went to the barn and did a little checking. There is some slack in the front(the 3 way piece-I think it is call the bell), but most is in the steering column. We popped the plug out and found the nut that Tim mentioned, but did not have any tools with us at the time, and also did not know where to go from there. When turning the steering wheel, the bolt (nut) would actually move a little. It was almost dark, so we put the plug back in. What is the exact part that would be worn out if we needed to order it? Also, someone mentioned an o-ring; there is a seal or o-ring leaking as the base of the the steering wheel is oily. I have a manuel ordered, hopefully, we will receive it this week.
Thanks

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a link to a handy section of the JD web site. This parts are lets owners look up every little doodad and thingmajig.
I tried looking up the "steering arm and drag link" however the JD site very slow tonight. Perhaps they are updating or something.
JD moved the "power steering booster" from under the steering wheel to the front of the tractor on some of the 40 and later series tractors.
Instead of all that power steering force being applied through that external arm. And rods etc from the steering column to the front end. The later tractor's power steering pushes directly on the steering tie rods.
The splines inside that side mounted steering arm maybe worn.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The part you probably need is the following and costs $146 on this Website. I think it's over $300 if you buy the same from Deere. It's a very common wear item on Deere 1020s, 2020s, 300s, and 400s. The splined output shaft coming out of the steering box has much harder metal and is usually fine. What happens is, the one big bolt comes loose, then the arm wobbles on the splines and wears them out fast. Later 2020s got more and finer splines to prevent the problem.

In regard to the pump coupling and little plastic bushings - it's kind of hard to imagine a Deere dealer not having a bunch in stock - or is this NOT a Deere dealer? Those too you can buy here.

I'll add that I'm not trashing Deere OEM parts - but . . . I worked for three Deere dealers dating back to the late 1960s. Deere was pretty good on pricing until the last few years -and now, many of their prices are rediculous. And, most of the parts they don't even make. So, often an aftermarket part comes from the same place.

Back to the steering, the only parts that you have to buy as complete units are the two little cartridges inside and they rarely go bad, if ever. There is one for left turns and one for right and I think they cost over $500 each now. In most cases though, all that goes wrong inside is the large o-rings fail. Newer replacement o-rings are made of much stronger material.

Steering Shaft Arm - 4 teeth, .641" hole dia. For Models: (1020, 1520, 1530, 2020 manual or power steering), (1030, 1120, 1130, 1630, 2120 european manual or power steering), (1040, 1140 european 2WD w clutch housing #AL33368), (1350, 1550, 1750, 1850 european w collar shift trans), (2030 power steering). (Part No: T28272)

Or just click on and scroll down for the picture:

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/store/model_parts.cgi?SearchArea=JD&&md=2020&cat=Steering&r=mcats

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are some snap ring grooves on the operating shaht that can cause some lost motion in the column, the bell crank ,the three prong thing up front can cause a 'lot' of lost motion, for the most part if the power steering is working good the problem is out side of the box..

BettyJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, it is not a John Deere dealer. He sells new
MF, BobCat, Duetz, McCormick, Claus, etc. Thanks so much for your help. I may wait and see if he will come across and fix it before I order the part. I think he should, but I really can't get too pushy on it, as It would cost me money in the long run. I am a tax preparer(Enrolled Agent)and do his corporate and personal tax returns along with his sons'. So, I have to be careful how much I demand. I really appreciate your help. I have several other questions about how to get to the part, etc., but when I receive the manuel, we should be able to figure that out without wasting your time. Thanks so much. One other question:
It has a lever between the two gear shifts that they said had something to do with the live power, but doesn't seem to have any effect on the PTO. To get the PTO to work, we shift it in on the side of the transmission, but the lever does not stop it or anything. There is kind of a spewing toward the front of the engine when I move the lever. We haven't hooked anything to the PTO yet. I have only hooked a tiller behind it and plowed in the garden a little. Thanks

BettyJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, it is not a John Deere dealer. He sells new
MF, BobCat, Duetz, McCormick, Claus, etc. Thanks so much for your help. I may wait and see if he will come across and fix it before I order the part. I think he should, but I really can't get too pushy on it, as It would cost me money in the long run. I am a tax preparer(Enrolled Agent)and do his corporate and personal tax returns along with his sons'. So, I have to be careful how much I demand. I really appreciate your help. I have several other questions about how to get to the part, etc., but when I receive the manuel, we should be able to figure that out without wasting your time. Thanks so much. One other question:
It has a lever between the two gear shifts that they said had something to do with the live power, but doesn't seem to have any effect on the PTO. To get the PTO to work, we shift it in on the side of the transmission, but the lever does not stop it or anything. There is kind of a spewing toward the front of the engine when I move the lever. We haven't hooked anything to the PTO yet. I have only hooked a tiller behind it and plowed in the garden a little. Thanks

BettyJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, the power steering works great! Super easy, I love that. You guys have really helped. I will try to get the dealer to fix as much as possible, then buy and fix what he won't. I had a real sinking feeling at first when I saw some of the prices of the whole box.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On some of the US built Dubuque utility tractors JD had two pto disconnects. I was rather surprised when txjim pointed that out.
The live independent pto control lever between the transmission gear shifts is a hydraulic valve. It applies oil pressure to engage a hydraulic clutch inside the transmission case. No connection to the foot clutch. Nice option to have.
In addition on the left side of the transmission case between the differential lock and the foot clutch. There is a mechanical gear shift for the pto.
It is connected inside the transmission case between the hydraulic pto clutch and the pto shaft at the back of the tractor. The hydraulic pto control must be in the off position to move this mechanical lever.
Best to just engage the mechanical pto on the side of the transmission then ignore it. And use that handy dandy hydraulic pto control.
It can't hurt to flush the cooling system on the engine and install new coolant and distilled water. Old coolant will eventually cause the engine's wet sleeves to leak.
Also the transmission/hydraulic system requires a "wet clutch" oil that also has high pressure additives to lube the gears.
Changing the filter, cleaning the screen and using the proper oil is good preventive maintenance. One can only guess what any old gear lube may have been poured into that hydraulic system over the past 34 years.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Slack in steering on John Deere 2030 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen the EXACT same thing with Deere parts. I even worked in a dealer parts dept. in the late 80's early 90's and believe me Deere Parts and there system is not near as good as it once was !

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.