Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 800 and 900 series fluid changes (types?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jet_skier01
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Ford 800 and 900 series fluid changes (types?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently picked up both a 900 series and a 800 series Ford tractors. The maintenance records on the tractors were a little in question so I would like to change the fluids - engine oil, transmission fluid, rear axel fluid and hydraulic system fluid in both tractors. What are the best fluids that I should use in these tractors? I'm looking for information on brands and viscosities that people have found out to be the best through experience. I live in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800 and 900 series fluid changes (types?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a UTF that meets Ford 134D specs in the trans, hydraulics and rear axles of my 851, 861D, 971 and 5000D. I use 15w-40 oil that meets diesel specs in the engines of all of them.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800 and 900 series fluid changes (types?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JS:

I agree with AWH on both engine oil and trans-hydraulic fluid.

Do not forget to change the oil in the front pedestal and final drives on the 9xx tractor. I use 85W140 in both. It is likely that the front pedestal has a quart or so of water beneath the oil.

Dean

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800 and 900 series fluid changes (types?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't forget the final drives and steering pedestal of the 900. I run 80W-90 in all three of those reservoirs, but New Holland 134 in the transmission, hydraulics and rear end.

To check the steering pedestal oil level, there's a plug almost directly under the grill. Take it out, then use the hydraulic reservoir dipstick to check the level. (That's why the dipstick has "Pedestal" markings on one side.) It's important to get the oil in the pedestal changed, because the reservoir tends to collect water than can freeze and cause problems. In the case of my tractor I had to heat the drain plug with an acetylene torch, then it came right out.

You'll find a lot of discussion here about whether to use gear oil or UTF in the transmission and rear end. Up where you're at, there's no way I would run gear oil. The trans will shift smoother with the thinner oil. Also, there's a risk of gear oil getting past seals to contaminate the hydraulics: not good in subzero weather.

For engine oil, I've found that 15W-40 is a bit too stiff once you get below zero F. I'm in SE Michigan, and have no problem down to at least ten below using 10W-30. You might want to consider a synthetic.

jet_skier01
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800 and 900 series fluid changes (types?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far but I guess I should have added a couple more specifics. Both of the engines are gas and the 900 has been converted to a wide front so no more pedestal. Thanks again.

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 800 and 900 series fluid changes (types?) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can use a diesel rated oil in a gas engine.
And how do you steer the 900 if it doesn't have a pedestal? The drag link from the steering box connects to a short arm that is attached to a shaft that goes into the pedestal.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.