Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crystalallis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: 5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i was wondering if the 5.9 is to much power for the 1855 concidering they are 90plus hp tractors and the cummins are like 140 or more anyway your thoughts would be helpful

Wrenchbender
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: 5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You will lose about 20 horsepower running the hyd. system so factor that in. The chain coupler is the weak link. WB<><.

bison
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: 5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the tractor can handle it,the 140 hp white fieldboss is allmost identical.

Eric636

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: 5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a 5.9 in a 1855, 165 horse, use it every day and never had a problem. Just dont go triing to pull a 30 foot diger. Lol

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: 5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No problems. Our 1855 is putting out 105 pto HP on the dyno.

The chain coupler is the weak link, and they can handle 135 HP no problem. Like has been said, it may be 140 HP but the hydraulics and other things take up a fair amount of HP. Those engines can also be tuned to run anywhere from 80-90 HP all the way to 225+ HP.

Donovan from Wisconsin

VADAVE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You ned to talk top ShepVa. He has done this a few times. His website used to have the directions for doing it but the site is down now--However I'm sure he would be happy to provide a copy of the directions.
I have preparing for the day my 1855 needs a motor.
One of the things Shep directs is to use the engine tub from a 1850 has the opening in the bottome is larger.
You can do this!

Jim Creamer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1755 with 1992 Dodge/Cummins engine, engine was put in 3 years ago. I have put over 500 trouble free hour on it.

oliverfarmer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: 5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I HAVE ONE IN MY 1955. MOTOR CAME FROM 145 WHITE. USE THE TRACTOR PRETTY GOOD WITH NO PROBLEMS. VERY NICE COMBINAION.

Shep VA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1855 runs about 125 HP on the Cummins engine adn it does very well at that power. I have an 1850 that is pushing right at 150Hp and that is about the max that the chain coupler can take for everyday farming. You still have to be careful with the Cummins engine, it has a lot more torque than the Waukesha ever thought about having and you have to keep your RPMs up with a Cummins engine so as not to over torque the chain at low RMPs and break something.

I currently have 4 Oliver/ Cummins repowers and have done a few others, so if you have questions just let me know, I will try to help.

e
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remember that if you put an engine with 100hp at the flywheel in a tractor, you will only get about 85-90hp at the PTO due to losses. One of your easiest conversions will be putting a 5.9 in 2-135. It literally bolts in and the exhaust and intake routing uses the same hole in the hood. After doing this conversion, I can say it's sooooooo worth the effort. I'm currently putting a 3.9 in a 1650...that's a little tighter fit than a 2-135.

love-horsepower
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 5.9 cummins in 1855 oliver Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i would love a complete parts list and directions if you would be so kind. rod brace 515-202-8090

VADAVE wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:39:01 09/13/09) You ned to talk top ShepVa. He has done this a few times. His website used to have the directions for doing it but the site is down now--However I'm sure he would be happy to provide a copy of the directions.
I have preparing for the day my 1855 needs a motor.
One of the things Shep directs is to use the engine tub from a 1850 has the opening in the bottome is larger.
You can do this!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.