Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cut Out Switch 9N

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDIG
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:32 pm    Post subject: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've replaced everything electrical front to back on my 41 9N. Front mount distributor, single wire genny all 6V positive ground. When I try and connect the positive ground cable to the battery, the cut out switch justs starts clicking. I don't want to toast anything so I figured it's time to ask the experts.

lha
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to check the wiring from the generator thruogh to where it hooks into the bat side of the starter switch.Something is grounding or wired wrong.Do you have a manual?might check.I've seen that happen before,but can't remember what it was.---lha

JDIG
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do have a manual and have been very careful to make sure all the connections are clean, metal to metal and I've replaced everything as mentioned. I appreciate your response and I'll go back and verify the wiring. This electrical has been giving me fits and I know it's probably something pretty simple. I just can't seem to figure it out.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

motor test the genny.. report back

soundguy

JDIG
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just had the genny and starter all tested and rebuilt. That's why I'm cautious to not toast anything. I don't want to have to get them redone for cookin' them.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No problem.

ignore the diagnostice advice and don't figure the problem out. You never know.. It -might- go away by itself right?

I gave you a specific comment as for a diagnostic test that will actually do 2 things at once.. IE.. fix a problem that is not a problem.. or tell us some important data.

but no problem. have fun and good luck.

soundguy

jeffalex2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cut out is just a relay. For it to click means it's oscillating. Make sure it's not wired backwards...and make sure your new ammeter is not defective. With a multimeter, a good ammeter should measure veeeery low or no resistance across its terminals. If the resistance in the ammeter is dropping a voltage, it could cause the cut out to oscillate

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have the cutout wired backward.It should be marked bat on one terminal.they could have put the cover on backward in china.Take it out and test it on the bench.Apply 6v to the bat terminal, if it clicks the cap is backward.A 6v lantern battery will do.Positive lead to the cutout frame, negative lead to the battery terminal.

JDIG
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Soundguy, You're assuming I know how to motor test it. I'm not ignoring your suggestion, I want to make sure I do it correctly. I've seen your posts plenty on the forum and respect your opinion. How do I motor test it without screwing anything up? Thanks for the input!

JDIG
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok I tried it. Followed the manual and motor tested the genny. It motored smooth for about 8-10 seconds and then dwindled down to nothing. I used jumper cables between the the battery negative to the ammeter then a 14 gauge wire with clips to complete from the ammeter to the post on the generator. Positive cable went from the battery pos to the body of the generator. Hope this helps.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if it fails a motor test. the genny needs attention as it will liekly not charge.

to properly motor tes the 9n genny, you turn the adjuster screw up, slip belt off, and jumper bat hot to armature..

and DO double check that wireing onthe cutout...

soundguy

JDIG
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Double checked all the wiring at the cut out and it no longer clicks when I connect the positive ground to the positive battery terminal......however still nothing when I push the start button. Next I'm going to motor test it back on the tractor as opposed to how I told you I did it. I'm guessing when you say jumper the hot battery to the armature to test, I'm keeping all other connections in tact, meaning the negative to the started switch, etc...that may be a dumb question but I'm new at this. Thanks!!

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the starter switch has nothing whatsoever to do with the genny.

jumper bat hot ( negative, since this is positive ground) to the armature after slipping belt off and turning 3rd brush up.

Also.. remember.. the 9n/2n have manual start switches. if the switch goes bad or the jiggle stick wears.. or the lil lever in there wears.. it won't press the start switch.

soundguy

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it's very important to understand the differences in hand stamped numbers that leave a deptression, vs cast in raised numbers.

go ahead and check out the bellhousing aft of the starter and see what stamped numbers you come up with.

soundguy

tracman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Cut Out Switch 9N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I understand it, the when the Gen. starts to build up voltage it should pick up the the cutout relay and and connect the Gen. to the Battery. If the relay is picking up maybe the Gen. and battery connections on the cut out relay are interchanged?! Therefore the battery will pick up the cut out relay instead of the Gen.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.