Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeoinMI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are correct about that Hokie. The valve is limited at best. But it does add a little something to the tractor where you could modify the valve if you wanted to do more. Considering the H.P. of an NAA and the vane hydraulic pump,..I doubt I could do a whole lot with an advanced valve except maybe add down pressure to a F.E.L. or something on that order. I think I need a bigger tractor,..hmmmm,...wonder if the wife would allow that one anytime soon ? (NO way !!)

Dennisinponca
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TOH,

Do you have a favorite model?

I agree, there are a lot better tractors and better remote options. Some of us have some high dollar tractors with a lot of bling yet for some whacky reason, we enjoy mowing and working with the old stuff.

The point is, we are sharing pictures and comments on some original and very early options for a 53 / 54 NAA.

Why even have an old tractor? Why have three? Four? Eleven? I guess it is some sort of pride of ownership.

I guess you have to be addicted to a certain model to understand the excitement over some old option for it.

Have you ever seen a "live pto" on a 53 Ford Jubilee? I will post some pictures of one some day and I hope there will be a lot of discussion over it.

Dennis

LeoinMI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are right again Hokie. I do like my NAA and enjoy old tractors. They are fun to work on and pride of ownership counts for something. As far as a live p.t.o. on a Jubilee,..nope,..never saw one,.only on the post on YT. I only know they are rare and are an option not many Jubilees had. I'm not even sure if they are a true "live" p.t.o. or if they work as a secondary clutch where you push the clutch in part way for the tranny and all the way for the p.t.o. to engage and dis-engage. They sound neat though and I do wish I had Live p.t.o.,.. but I assume it is a costly $$$ add-on.

LeoinMI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry Dennis my last reply was for you not TOH.
Leo

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LeoinMi wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:27:10 06/11/10) You are correct about that Hokie. The valve is limited at best. But it does add a little something to the tractor where you could modify the valve if you wanted to do more. Considering the H.P. of an NAA and the vane hydraulic pump,..I doubt I could do a whole lot with an advanced valve except maybe add down pressure to a F.E.L. or something on that order. I think I need a bigger tractor,..hmmmm,...wonder if the wife would allow that one anytime soon ? (NO way !!)

At 4+ GPM the pump produces enough volume for any number of applications and multiple spools adds additional control functionality at any volume. Down pressure on a FEL is simply a DA lift cylinder and a valve with a DA spool like your OEM unit. A FEL with a hydraulic rather than trip bucket however requires a two spool valve - down pressure or not.

As for the OEM vane/piston pump - that can be upgraded "in situ" as well for a lot less than the price of a new tractor - in fact for less than the cost of that OEM valve. Now if your wife can be cajoled into something like that and it interests you give me a call for some details Laughing

TOH
oldhokie@verizon.net

LeoinMI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ll have to give that some serious thought. Thanks for the advice. A piston pump would be nice with some options for "add-on"s". I"ll give you a call when I get the hydraulics fixed. They need some adjusting and a new cam follower pin. Draft position doesn"t work as it should right now.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LeoinMi wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:58:25 06/12/10) I"ll have to give that some serious thought. Thanks for the advice. A piston pump would be nice with some options for "add-on"s". I"ll give you a call when I get the hydraulics fixed. They need some adjusting and a new cam follower pin. Draft position doesn"t work as it should right now.

I'm not talking about replacing the original vane pump with a later Ford piston pump - rather a modern gear pump. Obviously not something the originality police are going to find attractive. While I appreciate the desire some have for originality there is a limit to the functionality you can extract from the 1950's design.

TOH

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dennisinponca wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:09:59 06/11/10) TOH,

Do you have a favorite model?

I agree, there are a lot better tractors and better remote options. Some of us have some high dollar tractors with a lot of bling yet for some whacky reason, we enjoy mowing and working with the old stuff.

The point is, we are sharing pictures and comments on some original and very early options for a 53 / 54 NAA.

Why even have an old tractor? Why have three? Four? Eleven? I guess it is some sort of pride of ownership.

I guess you have to be addicted to a certain model to understand the excitement over some old option for it.

Have you ever seen a "live pto" on a 53 Ford Jubilee? I will post some pictures of one some day and I hope there will be a lot of discussion over it.

Dennis

Sure I understand collectors and their interest in originality - especially rare and expensive OEM options. But some folks have these tractors because they can't afford a more modern machine and simply want to upgrade them to get a little more functionality in the most cost effective manner possible. Look at the popularity of the Zane Thang - a really useful and highly non-original idea.

Personally I have no interest in owning a dozen old tractors - or even new ones. I have a 9N and an 8N purely out of nostalgia - they remind me of my youth and a wonderful family that farmed with an 8N and Jubilee. Prior to the purchase of a new 8N in 1951 they farmed with a team of horses and if I could lay hands on the original harness I'd have it too. The old dinner bell that hung on a fence post by the old farmhouse is now proudly mounted in front of my new home.

But for real work I have a newer tractor and I indulge my creative juices building gadgets that I think improve the older machines. That's the fun part for me - I enjoy designing and building gadgets. I mow, plow snow, landscape, spray, etc. with one of my newer machines - I have no desire to spend a second more than necessary in the seat of any tractor - an attitude I probably inherited from my father and grandfather. Shocked

I have seen the live PTO option for the NAA and it's a clever add-on that Dearborn created to address that shortcoming in the original design. Not really a LPTO as much as a secondary clutch in the final drive. Just because Dearborn is gone doesn't mean innovation has to end. If I could figure out a good way to build an affordable LPTO add-on I would.

TOH

LeoinMI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A gear pump would be nice. I imagine the plumbing has to be re-done to a certain extent. Are there kits to go with the gear pump or do you just buy the parts seperately and cut to length ?
Might have to look into that one.

Dennisinponca
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TOH,

I visited your web site and I am impressed with it and your products.

I see your point towards improving the N series in a cost efficient way and your live hydraulics product(s) appear to do that.

What would be nice is if you can replace the current hydraulic pump on the NAA and newer tractors with one that is not prone to sucking air. Had the engineers just put the suction in the back vice the front, there would not be a problem with the air being sucked in by the shaft. Of course, there would be a pressure problem on the shaft.

I am thinking a nice replacement pump would have an easily replaced teflon diapharm in the suction area to exclude air coming in at the shaft. Pretty much on the lines of the old fuel pumps with a rubber diaphram but use teflon type material.

The current piston pumps have a wobble shaft that can be used to push a diaphram if a diaphram were to be used instead of the piston assembly. The check valves on a diaphram pump would be a lot simplier than the valves used in the current piston pump.

Dennis

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LeoinMi wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:14:41 06/12/10) A gear pump would be nice. I imagine the plumbing has to be re-done to a certain extent. Are there kits to go with the gear pump or do you just buy the parts seperately and cut to length ?
Might have to look into that one.

I have already designed a conversion and will make the kits myself. OEM plumbing gets replaced with generic hydraulic hose and custom made port adapters. Generic gear pump mounts to the same camshaft drive housing used for the piston pumps - a custom made replacement for the wobble shaft drives it off the OEM camshaft gear. Basically you throw away the wobble shaft and OEM pump and replace it with an off the shelf gear pump. An adpater plate is used to mate the SAE pump mounting flange to the drive housing. Prototyping is pretty much done (click thumbs below for full size images) - OEM setup shown next to conversion. Just need a customer with an NAA to do the field testing which is why I'm interested in this thread....

TOH

PS - will work for hundred series tractors as well - same pump conversion just much shorter hoses and a port adapter to replace the OEM hydraulic manifold.

Last edited by TheOldHokie on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ford made a rear mount loader that used 2 hyd assist cylinders.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:38:26 06/12/10) [quote:203ff109ce="LeoinMi"](quoted from post at 15:14:41 06/12/10) A gear pump would be nice. I imagine the plumbing has to be re-done to a certain extent. Are there kits to go with the gear pump or do you just buy the parts seperately and cut to length ?
Might have to look into that one.[/quote:203ff109ce]

I designed the conversion and will make them myself. OEM plumbing gets replaced with generic hydraulic hose and custom made port adapters. Generic gear pump mounts to the same camshaft drive housing used for the piston pumps - a custom made replacement for the wobble shaft drives it off the OEM camshaft gear. Basically you throw away the wobble shaft and OEM pump and replace it with an off the shelf gear pump. An adpater plate is used to mate the SAE pump mounting flange to the drive housing. Prototyping is pretty much done (click thumbs below for full size images) - OEM setup shown next to conversion. Just need a customer with an NAA to do the field testing which is why I'm interested in this thread....

TOH

PS - will work for hundred series tractors as well - same pump conversion just different port adapters to replace the OEM hydraulic manifold.

[img:203ff109ce]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/TheOldHokie/Piston%20Pump%20Conversion/th_IMG_1217.jpg[/img:203ff109ce] [img:203ff109ce]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/TheOldHokie/Piston%20Pump%20Conversion/th_IMG_1218.jpg[/img:203ff109ce] [img:203ff109ce]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/TheOldHokie/Piston%20Pump%20Conversion/th_IMG_1219.jpg[/img:203ff109ce] [img:203ff109ce]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/TheOldHokie/Piston%20Pump%20Conversion/th_IMG_1220.jpg[/img:203ff109ce]

What the heck goes with this BB software? This post displayed fine when I first made it - now the links/images are munged.....

TOH

Dennisinponca
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TOH,

I am always interested in new items and prototypes and would be glad to test one on a Jubilee. I have access to a Ford 871 also and other tractors that belong to friends.

I am also an Engineer. I have extensive startup and testing experience on just about every phase of physics, from submarines to airplane engines. I can pretty much understand the tech language, perform the math, develop a test module and help get you any data you need in the proper units and confidence.

This is starting to sound like a resume. I am retired and have no interest in work, just hobby stuff to piddle with.

If you want, give me a call.

I may be interested in purchasing a prototype so I can have one of the first.

dennisinponca@yahoo.com
580-761-5646

LJS30
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rare Dual Remote Hydraulics on a Jubilee picture Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is one sweet Jubilee.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.