Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

generator /voltage regulator output

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott@hydrotech
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: generator /voltage regulator output Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me how to check if my 6 volt charging system on my 8N is working correctly. I"m used to 12 volt systems on cars and it"s pretty easy to hook up the meter and see what you"re getting. I hooked up the meter to my running tractor and got +/- 6.25 volts. Then I turned it off and got essentially the same thing. Now what?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: generator /voltage regulator output Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The charging voltage should be about 7.4 Volts.
Doesn't sound like your system is charing.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: generator /voltage regulator output Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Scott.......remember, unlike alternators, gennys don't charge at idle. You need about 1/3-throttle. Charging volts across the battery terminals should be about 7.4-volt. Caution: digital meters don't like electrical noise that genny brushes, and sparkies make. (ittza technical thing called sample and hold detector)

Iff'n you don't gitt a satisfactory "charge" voltage, try "re-polarize" yer 8N's squarecan voltage regulator. Just "arc-spark" the side-by-side BAT and ARM terminals, engine OFF. You can re-polarize as many times as it takes to feel warm and fuzzy ...er... charging. .......Dell

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: generator /voltage regulator output Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tractors ammeter will tell you if it charging.

lha
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: generator /voltage regulator output Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a relatively crude '41 9n,and if I worry about charging or not, I check the ammeter for + side needle It only slightly points toward the +,because it's working properly. After warmup,a period of high idling,1 click over minimum,I rev it and voila,it shows a charge.If one time it didn't,I'd get the analog[needle type]meter and check it.After exhausting all tests,take the generator and v-reg to a starter and generator shop and have them tested and/or repaired.Then you'll have a working system.---lha

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: generator /voltage regulator output Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Listen to what you were told about the meter and polarizing. My experience is with a 2N and a cutout so I hope I don't step in something here. Is your battery going dead on you? Reason I ask is that if you are getting a charge at the genny with the engine off it sounds like you might be leaking voltage backwards and trying to motor the genny. This would be a problem with a cutout or VR I believe...unless I am completely misunderstanding the situation.

When I diagnose a 6v system I hook up my analog meter (either a VOM or portable ammeter, I have both) to the ground and to the genny with the tractor running above idle. Note the voltage or amperage. Then move the genny connection forward thru the system checking EVERY wire and connection as if it were a new component (it is!) until I find where the charge stops. Use a good ground. HTH, Dave.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: generator /voltage regulator output Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell, Please explain what gets polarized when you arc spark the wires together. Bob and I and others want to know.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: generator /voltage regulator output Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Teddy.......when you re-polarize you create and "arc-spark" between the the side-by-side BAT and ARM terminals of the 8N squarecan voltage regulator. After all you are SHORTING the BAT to GROUND thru the ARM. And you are "magnetizing" both the genny soft iron core and the ironcore of the cut-out relay inside the squarecan voltage regulator.

You magnetize the iron core of the cut-out relay so it will disconnect when you turn the engine OFF.

It is always recommended to re-polarize ennytime you replace the battery. Why? 'cuz many shadetree mechanics erroneously install the 6-volt battery as negative ground like their 12-volt Belchmobile-V8 with alternator.

Wannna guess what incorrect genny polarity will do to new battery???

Surprizingly enuff gennys don't care positive or negative ground. There are some obscure technical reasons for positive ground (hazzta do with electron attraction of arcing sparkplugs) Modern sparkie material and design have negated that technical advantage.

As I said, you can re-polarize as many times as it takes to feel warm and fuzzy ...er... charging .......Dell

scotthydrotech
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: generator /voltage regulator output Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all. This sounds pretty easy and fun. I'm using a digital meter, so that's the first problem. The ammeter shows nothing, but the lights don't work either, so I wasn't really relying on the meter as accurate. At the end of the day, the gent I bought it from changed that battery and I think that's where the problem lies. Re-polarizing sounds simple and that's my first hunch to success. you have all been very helpful. Thanks very much! I love this tractor and this community.

Scott

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: generator /voltage regulator output Reply to specific post Reply with quote

teddy52food wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:53:49 07/26/10) Dell, Please explain what gets polarized when you arc spark the wires together. Bob and I and others want to know.

Dell's pliers, barbed wire, whatever.......

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.