Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swilk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1965 Ford 4000. The book says its there ..... the NH web site diagram says its there .... but it aint there.

The area I think it should be doesnt have a plug .... it is either an untapped hole or has a press in plug in it.

Ideas? Am I looking in the wrong place.

swilk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to the book the oil level plug should be where the pink dot is .... but there is no plug there.

The red dot has a bolt in it but according to the NH web site it is a screw with a nut on the back side for the hyd lift.

woodbutcher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 4000 has a square shouldered plug in the plate that bolts onto the right side inboard of the footplate. The plug is hard to turn because it is on the same level as the footplate, and there's less than an inch of space to maneuver it. I think I can see yours in the bottom right corner of the second photo.
Butch

swilk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This one? I will need to go and have a nut welded to it to get it out if so .... it is in there pretty good.

Last edited by swilk on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
CliffP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My manual shows this, if I can get this to work.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Square headed plug in the bottom pic. Put a good Vise-Grip on it and turn it out.

Rod

swilk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All right then .... looks like the mangled, stuck plug is the one.

Hopefully a nut welded to it will be enough to get it out.

Thanks.

RickB
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Level plug on a 4000 is in the pump housing. Rod has it identified.

swilk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got it.

Took off the foot plate so that I could get a better grip on it .... finally came out.

Thanks.

RickB
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be advised that the hole is supposed to be a 3/8-24 straight (machine) thread. THe photo loks like someone stuffed a 1/8" NPT zerk in it.

swilk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, yes they did.

I loosely put the same plug back in it for now but will run a tap through it when I have a chance and put the correct bolt back in it.

When I topped it off I noticed that I have a seal leaking around the brake rod. A little searching on this site turned up the correct R&R procedure ..... looks like it wont be that bad with the exception of fighting through years of paint on the threads to remove the brake hardware.

I am making a list of "to do" items ...... need to get the boots for the shifter rods. Both the tranny fluid and rear hyd fluid are a little milky and need to be changed out.

sotxbill
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 rear axle oil level plug not there? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when you get it out,, buy a new pipe plug,, paint it yellow. Paint your dip stick yellow, paint your tranny check plug and oil drain plugs yellow. I do all my tractors so when it time to do maintainance,I can quickly find all the plugs and checks and dipsticks... even the radiator cap gets painted yellow...

helps when you drop them in the grass..

gas caps get painted red,,diesel caps green...radiators again yellow with all the other check engine crap... like the new cars... its easier for the wife to figure out..

I also paint the nozzles on the bulk tanks so she can get the right fuel in the right place...

but it doesnt work so well when she runs the diesels dry..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.