Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dale-MI
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got my father's old drill out of storage today to help a friend plant winter wheat this weekend. The grain box rate adjustment is frozen. It looks like to me that the gear like shaft should slide to adjust the seed rate. Any suggestions on how to free that up?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The operator's manual would tell you to lube the feeds with kerosene.

Diesel fuel will work. Use it LIBERALLY.

Only downside is, if the drill uses rubber seed drop tubes you don't want to slop them up with the diesel fuel as they will swell up/soften.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The whole small square shaft slides, side to side, to increase/decrease the feed. Loosen the wingnut on the feed adjustment lever handle(s). Oil with penetrating oil, and take a hammer and punch, and tap at each feed, alternating left and right, after all feeds have been hit. DO NOT HAMMER ON THE ADJUSTMENT HANDLE, IT'LL BREAK!

Dale-MI
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.
I got the grass box shafts freed up by taping and spinning them. The grain box adjustment handles appear to be rusted in place. I"ll try some heat on those.
The rate chart says there are gates to open for clean out. I looked and could not find them.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To find the seed gates, pull off the seed tube boot, it has a little lever, on the side, that you turn upward, then twist the whole boot, to the left. The seed doors are facing the front on some drills, and the back on others. If there is old rotted seed spilling out, you have quite a job ahead of you. The doors have a tendency to rust in place. There is a lever on each door, which can register in 2 slots on one side, or one slot on the other side. This is adjust for large, medium or small seeds. Pull, pound or pry the lever up, then stick a big screwdriver or lady slipper puller, in the top of the door, and pry it open. Of course, a liberal application of your favorite penetrating oil helps here. The best way to make this job easy, is to clean out the drill, each and every time you use it. My grandfather's rule was don't let the sun go down on a drill with seed in it!

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

replacement feed gates are part # BB921M

Dale-MI
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there only one model of the Van Brunt drill? I'd like to find a manual for it.

Briar Hill Brittanys
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dale, I believe there are several models of John Deere/Van Brunt drills. Here's a couple of pictures of my FB. Originally it was a 15 x 7, the passenger side drive gears were stripped so I cut it down to a 7 x 7. Works great and fits on my trailer for food plotting. I found a manual on e-bay for a FB-A, and it's pretty much identical.

I drilled some winter rye with it Sunday after church, it was up yesterday. Mark

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dale-MI wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:59:40 09/24/10) Is there only one model of the Van Brunt drill? I'd like to find a manual for it.

There were several different models both in plain grain and grain & fert. combo. Which is yours? A photo would be helpful.

TooTight

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there an aftermarket source for the gates and other parts? The gate, a small 1.5" square piece of shaped sheet metal with a pin and a tab costs over $17 through JD.

HHero
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere/Van Brunt grain drill rate adjustment Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm also looking for an operator's manual. Any ideas?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.