Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Newbie Looking at a 955L Need advice
Looking at a 1979 Cat 955L. It has a New Reman Engine from a 955K, new steering clutches and breaks. Some minor leaking cylinders and it apparently had the wrong muffler on it where it took some sort of oil line or something? The hole in the muffler has a gasket and will need to be plugged with a plate I assume? Any advice on where to check for specific issues with this vintage machine? Owner will let me run this for a while to get it good and hot. It has the 4 in 1 bucket and the GP bucket. Thanks in advance.

Bob/Ont

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are good machines. Check the final drives hold oil and don't leak at the sprockets. Check for sprocket side movement with a crowbar. If the idlers are way out near the ends of the track frames the undercarrage is worn out. The muffler is setup with an aspirator tube. You can leave it open, all it will do is pull air in like a vacume cleaner. Work it and make sure nothing overheats.
Later Bob

135 Fan

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think there's much difference between the engine in a K and an L. Later L's probably had direct injection. If I remember right, the first L's continued the serial numbers of the K models. They were very popular machines. Dave

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the reply's

Old Magnet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check that out closely
For 1979 it would be a 13Xxxxx model with 78P 3304, engine arrangement 4N3974 or 7N1524
A 3304K model would have to be a 85J6247 - up to have the 78P 3304, engine arrangement 2P6783 or 4N3974

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old magnet yes the Tractor serial number is 13X436 and the engine is a 85J436. I don't know much about that, but are you telling me this is an odd ball mixup. The guy was upfront with me telling me the original engine was ran low on oil and the fellow operating it was in a hilly area, so he basically melted the old motor. He found a replacement with the 85J436 serial number rebuild. Thanks

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen that the K engines have around 115HP and the L engines are 130HP. Dont know if I will see a difference with this issue?

Old Magnet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

85J436 would be a D330c with turbo and yes it would be 115hp vs the 130hp. Don't know if you'd get to excited about 15hp and the D330c is ok but not as good or parts modern as the 3304. Mainly it's about knowing what you have.

Old Magnet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm checking furthur on that 85J436 unit which is a 1968 model. That's on the border between the old 4-1/2 in. bore D330 and the 4-3/4 in. bore of the D330c. I'll let you know as soon as I can sort it out.

bob plumadore
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

13x had big undercarriage (d6) and 130 hp engne low sn 85 J had small underarriage and 115 engine. I bet it has been up graded to 130hp, probably used fuel pump off 13 x engine.

Old Magnet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, appears the D330c did not come in until 1971
so the 85J436 is the mid range D330 4-1/4 in. bore
at 115 hp. This is the era where there were lots of changes in head and block casting....trying to overcome the cracked heads and spun bearing problems of former units. Not as bad as the D330a engine but not as good as the D330c or 3304.

Old Magnet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Along with a pump change you'd need the larger 4-3/4 in. bore.

Old Magnet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Meant to say 4-1/2 in. bore.
Wish I knew how to edit these posts....

bob plumadore
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

just the early "K" 61H had the old 41/2 bore carried over from the 955H. the 85J and 1 H both had 4 3/4 bore only difference was the fuel setting adn turbo.

Old Magnet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie Looking for advice on a 955L Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Info I have shows the D330c did not show up until 85J4671 which is a 1971 model. Also compares to the D333c change in 1971. What are you using for reference? Can't always rely on this stuff.

Do you have the parts manual for the 85J that shows the piston/liner and head gasket change?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.