Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How often do you use your Road Gear?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faster346
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: How often do you use your Road Gear? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just kind of curious how often your tractors get driven in road gear? My H or M rarely see it, unless I'm in a hurry to get back up the lane to the barn for some reason, or I'm on the road..but I find myself using road gear (4th) on my Super C a lot around the farm, since it's only about 8-10mph depending on throttle. Is it bad for them to be used in these higher gears a lot??

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you use your Road Gear? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back when we were farming with them, my SH and SM saw road gear regularly. We had fields 2 - 3 miles from the main farm. The both tractors accumulated a couple thousand miles in 5th gear running out and back home over their working lives. (It caused them no problems aside from road worn tires...)

Later in "retirement" - and until I got a decent flatbed trailer - I drove the tractors in road gear 10 - 15 miles each way to several local shows, pulls and parades every summer, again with no problems.

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you use your Road Gear? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everything put on a tractor is meant to be used.

That includes all the gears.

Gary

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you use your Road Gear? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use road gears often.due to the costom work and farms several miles apart,my tractors all get a fair amount of road miles.The thing that suffers is the tires.Pavement eats tires

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: How often do you use your Road Gear? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our old H saw 5th gear a lot. We had over 10 miles between some farms and it did a lot of mowing and hauling hay wagons. While it seemed to be moving pretty good at 16 MPH or so our 1486 could move along at almost 24 mph.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: How often do you use your Road Gear? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The trans in the smaller tractors is an indirect drive trans, it uses the gears in every gear. H and above couple the input to output (direct drive) and just pass the power through the trans (gears are at idle). Of course the differential and finals are under power, but far less stress than pulling a plow in low. Jim

rich4
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: How often do you use your Road Gear? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother used to use an 80hp tractor to haul grain and livestock to market about 15 miles away. Before he had trucks big enough to do the job.

495man
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you use your Road Gear? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Almost every day in the summer...fields are almost always road travel away.

The Dukester
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How often do you use your Road Gear? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can use road gear all you want using good judgement as to how rough the road is your running on and the weight of the load you're trying to pull....don't make a habit of overloading the engine or "grinding the gears" shifting into road gear from 4th on the go. Farmall H's and M's will start slipping out of 5th if you grind the gears shifting them into 5th on the go too much because it is a dog clutch you are engaging and if the teeth get rounded off on the companion clutch members the detent on the shift rail cannot hold the dog clutching gears in engagement. Also if you bounce an H or M family tractor around too much on rough ground (especially in road gear) it will eventually break the capscrews (bolts) holding the clutch housing to the transmission housing. These capscrews are inside the housing and you might not notice any of them broken until it's too late.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.