Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD 3020 Starting Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shane V

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: JD 3020 Starting Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a JD 3020 Gas That usually runs great, The tractor cold starts fine after sitting overnight but when you run it then turn off the engine it will not start backup. It turns over fine but will not fire. The strange thing is it starts fine when it is cold. Does anyone have any Ideas on what my problem may be?

John T

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Starting Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First things I would suspect are the points and condensor and finally the coil. Make sure the points are gapped correct and clean/buff/polish them if gray oxide coated but otherwise decent BUT replace if badly burned or pitted or carboned up. A condensor may be weak after warm up, for no more then they cost, maybe get new points n condensor n be done with it, a fresh set of plugs wouldnt hurt if they show wear or are oiled or fouled. A coil can be be breaking down some after its warnmed up but be fine when cold but I would try the other things first.

If its fuel related you need input from the new Generation gents.

John T

RustyFarmall

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Starting Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does that one use the electric fuel shut-off solenoid on the carburetor?

Shane V

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Starting Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure, It does not have a starter button it starts directly from turning the key. It is one of the 1st years 1964-1965 they made the 3020 because it only has one set of hydraulics and no differential lock. Does that help? If not, how can I tell which one it is.

Gerald J.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Starting Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The electric solenoid on the carburetor was added later to cure a run on or dieselling problem. It sticks out of the bottom of the carburetor where the high speed jet adjustment used to be, several inches, about 3/4 or 1" diameter with a wire on the end. The engine tends to not start when they or their wiring fails.

Gerald J.

msb

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Starting Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rocking the steering wheel back and forth as you crank it will help, by it not letting the hydraulic pump try to build pressure. Makes all the difference in the world when trying to start a gasser.Helps on a diesel that has a low battery too.

msb

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Starting Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rocking the steering wheel back and forth as you crank it will help, by it not letting the hydraulic pump try to build pressure. Makes all the difference in the world when trying to start a gasser.Helps on a diesel that has a low battery too.

RustyFarmall

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Starting Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The differential lock and the second set of hydraulics were both options, and could be ordered or not ordered depending on the need. Those options were available on all 3020s, from the beginning to the end, so that is not an indicator of when yours was built. The only way I know to determine the year of production is by the serial number.

Gerald J.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Starting Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 4020 got so it would only run when the gas tank was more than a third full. So I replaced the fuel pump and now it runs the tank down all the way. I put on an electric pump for easier starting.

Gerald J.

teddy52food

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Starting Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check out the curcuit that bypasses the resistor for starting.A cold engine turns easier than a hot one. You maybe aren't getting enough voltage to the coil on a hot start up.

ShaneV

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: JD 3020 Starting Problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tractor is a 1964 according to the serial number. Is it true that rocking the steering wheel when starting relieves hydraulic pressure which somehow gets the tractor to fire-up when hot. It has no problems starting cold, fires right up. Would that be the same as disengaging the hydraulics? Thanks for all the suggestions, I will dig into it the next couple of nights to see what I can find out.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.