Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Craig Bunting-Case 700 Rice Combine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CLTX

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Craig Bunting-Case 700 Rice Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Craig, what route did you take from Flatonia to Houston, I-10? Where in Houston did you eventually take the machine to? I"ve driven rice combines on the highway before, but that was 50 years ago. I"m not that familiar with the Cases by number. What year, what size header? Bet it was faster than the Massey 21. The 21 had a high-low range, but to switch ranges, you had to remove and swap the drive pulleys....lol. The variable speed hadn"t arrived yet, much less hydrostatic. C. L.

Craig Bunting

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Craig Bunting-Case 700 Rice Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dear C.L.

We drove hwy 95 to old hwy 90, We crossed the river in Columbus my buddy drove across the bridge and I waited till he stopped the traffic. I just took my 1/2 from the middle (14 foot header).

Then we cut across to Cat Springs and then around to Sealy and caught 36 to 331 and turned East on 529 and crossed Brazos River. Stayed on 529 to Houston down Fry Road to Clay Road to my yard here at Morningview. (I live inside Belt-way Cool.

We had a lot of trouble with a flat spot on the tire. It was cold when we moved the machine and the tires really did not warm up and it liked to jump around.

I am not sure if something is wrong or not but about we could only do about 11 mph with a tail wind. We had trouble with it overheating, (lots of stops and lots of water) but now I think we have the cooling system cleaned out and it runs nicely.

A case 700, 900 and 960 are all very close they have a 42 inch clyinder, 6 cyl slat-6 gas engine, the 700 is gear diven but the 960 did have a Hyrdo as well. Case combines from the 60's all have platform or cab off center, engine behind the grain tank, belts and chains are outside. They sold them with diesel engines but I have never seen a combine that is from the 60's that is not a gas engine.

My 700 was made in 1962. I have a 700 parts machine and 960 parts machine. Both the 700s are open platform and the 960 has a cab.

The MH 21 was popular in rice and I have heard stories about them. We ran a MH 35 (machine made by the devil...) and we ran a MH 82 a real nice machine. So I like the MH as well, but I really like like all old combines.

If you are around Houston let me know my combine tours are free to folks who hang out on the y-t pages. I only have one combine here at the house the 700, 960 are west of Sealy and my 2 case 600's are near New Ulm.

CLTX

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Craig Bunting-Case 700 Rice Combine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Craig, I"m in the Woodlands now. I haven"t been near a combine in many a year I saw two JD"s last summer parked just off I-10 this side of Winnie. I haven"t seen any others in years, much less up close. The Cases I remember had the operator"s platform on the right side. The last combine I ran was an old IH 141, in 1960. Have they ever changed. I"m out of school this coming week, but we are going to San Antonio. After school"s out in May, I may check with you. I guess I"m just remembering the past, but I have gotten interested in the farm equipment that I grew up around and regret that I didn"t pay more attention to repairing and maintaining those old combines and tractors. I guess once you have smelled the soil when plowing, or the many smells and sounds when cutting rice, or other crops, it will always be in your blood.
C. L.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters