Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

combining hay seed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary In TX

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: combining hay seed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys, has anyone ever combined sudan or haygrazer for seed? With the seed shortage I have been thinking about it. Luckily I have got my seed set up for this year but the drought shortage on seed has raised a question or two.

Mike in Houston

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: combining hay seed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't think anyone down my way has tried it. Pick that header up high and give it a try. You'll even still have some haying grass left under there if you can get up high enough and just snip the seed head off the top.
Seed shortage? I talked to my fertilizer/seed dealer who I buy from every year this past Saturday. I walked in and he hung his head. He told me he thought about me a week or so before that and has been looking for some haygrazer seed (sorghum-sudan) for me since. I had no idea there would be a shortage this year. I still haven't heard from him. Got my fields disced down to the dirt ready to plant and hopefully can get my hands on seed... I'm going in with haygrazer (sorghum-sudan) and some forage sorghum (Garst BMR348) hopefully.
You're up around Dallas, right? My wife and I are actually thinking of selling our place down here and moving up around Lubbock. I bet that would be a different ball game raising crops up there in that dry land as compared to SouthWest of Houston, huh?
Take care up there,
mee

iowa_tire_guy

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: combining hay seed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would guess it wouldn't be much different than combining milo (grain sorghum). The biggest challenge is keeping the heads in the header. We used miloguards on the sickleguards to do it. My Dad said years ago they would bolt an angle iron on the sickle guard bolts to keep the heads in.

Nutsaboutcombines

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: combining hay seed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Of course it's a combinable crop! How else do seed companies collect it? Pick it by hand? NOT!

Ill John

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: combining hay seed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a bluegrass header, that should do it. It collected bluegrass seed back in the 40s, 50s, if I had the equipment, I'd put a picture on here. We used them in SW Iowa when I was a kid, most got junked. A CA allis pulled 3 5' cuts, a Farmall H pulled 3 6' cuts. John

Mike in Houston

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: combining hay seed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did see on a RFD-TV show a while back a machine that was made just for harvesting seed. Can't rememeber what type of seed it was now harvesting in the show. I'm thinking it was sunflower??? Anyway, didn't even think about how the seed companies harvest it. Good point.
mee

Tex Aggie

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: combining hay seed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well if this years crop is a hybrid, then replant next year wont work if you are trying to save it, since you would get so many variances.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters