Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Advice for new combine operator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave from MN

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Advice for new combine operator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was planning on running my own ground this year, but as some of ya know , previous renter admitted he enrolled my land in EQIP so I am gonna let him run it one more year , which will result in me aquiring about 80 more acres that he will let me take over(adjacent to my property). I will be all set in 08 for tilling , planting and raising the crops, but I am a green horn in a combine, (done every other thing all my life), I am able to use neighbors 4400, and will be looking for a combine so I do not have to borrow. So, how much am I gonna have to learn to operate one? I read alot about adjujsting seaves and other things. Am I gonna be totally screwed when it comes time for me to harvest, with out having to hire some one?

James22

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for new combine operator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was in the same position, no combine experience. Dad only had a pull-type combine when I was very young. Remember seeing it in the shed, but never was in the field when it was operating. In "56 Dad traded in the combine. We continued to pick/crib corn, and hired a neighbor to combine the wheat/soybeans, and fill the silo. We did assist the hired work by pulling silage/grain wagons, running the blower, and/or driving the grain truck. Livestock always received the highest priority although we didn't milk (praise the Lord for this favor!). Approximately 20 years after leaving home, I began a grain only operation (no livestock to tie me down), bought all the equipment including the combine. The first year had one snag. I neglected to secure the floating cutter bar when cutting wheat. The neighbor farmer was kind enough to point this out when we were having trouble with the wheat laying on the cutter bar and not properly feeding into the cross auger. Just needed to read the operator's manual a little better. Otherwise never had any problems, just set the machine to nominal book settings and tweak from there. The operator manual's trouble shooting guide will be helpful determining what parameter needs to be changed when correcting a problem. Just don't get in too much of a hurry and be willing to look for loss behind the combine, and the quality of the product in the bin. Rarely have had to change the settings in a given season once they have been dialed in, however my harvest normally only lasts a week. The main concern is combine maintance and repair. They can be expensive and/or very time consuming. Began with a cheap IH715, quickly upgraded to a late IH915 for a few years, and now run a low hour IH1480. One major reason for the IH1480 upgrade was for better A/C. The 915's A/C system was old and constantly having problems. Repair would have been expensive and I was tired of running with the door/windows open when combining wheat or soybeans. If you have a tendency to have any allergy problems, be sure to buy something that has a good A/C.

JMS/MN

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for new combine operator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Two good sources of info are the operator manual and an experienced operator. You need a basic understanding of how a combine works. I'm partial to Gleaner- their OP manual shows a cutaway view of the machine- what each function does. Pay attention to crop losses, not just behind the machine but also underneath and ahead. Do the counts, do the math regarding losses and determine the source. Cylinder speed: speed makes feed. Start as slow as recommended by the book, close down the concave until shelling is complete, increase cylinder speed as a last resort. If the combine has a chopper or spreader, check straw ON the walkers to see if fully threshed. A chopper/spreader throws the seed out and you don't know if it came from the header, sieve, or walker. Get on the ground and blow the straw and dust clear when making seed counts behind the separator. Get used to what the combine sounds like when running empty or full. Leave the radio off until you're comfortable with the machine. Pay attention to smells- hot bearings, burning belts.

1206SWMO

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for new combine operator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a neighbor or a friend that knows how set a combine to come
and assist you the first time that you go to the field.Most would be
glad to do it for free.

flying belgian

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for new combine operator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I to traded combines just to get A.C. I bought a nice 750 Massey for less than it would cost to put A.C. in old 410

J Heitkemper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for new combine operator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry Guys , My earlier full response got flagged by the forum ,, Not for sure why ?,, Anyway Take your time with the combine and double dittos to all Responses ,,The guy that asks Questions is always better off than the ones that think they know how to do things and end up messing -up ,, Jim

J Heitkemper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for new combine operator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry Guys , My earlier full response got flagged by the forum ,, Not for sure why ?,, Anyway Take your time with the combine and double dittos to all Responses ,,The guy that asks Questions is always better off than the ones that think they know how to do things and end up messing -up ,, Jim

pbutler

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for new combine operator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Read the manual-cover to cover-that will teach you a lot. Corn is a lot easier to combine and get settings right for than wheat or beans so hopefully you are starting with corn.

4400 is a pretty easy to run combine-just go slow. If you start in beans DO NOT LET LARGE SLUGS GO INTO COMBINE-aw never mind-do it once and learn how to clean it out then never do it again. Smile

I was in your shoes 4 years ago-learned 99% from manual and what I read here, harvesting.com, and newagtalk.com, and agriculture.com. Get by just fine now.

Get the combine out and run it in the yard without grain first-being careful (always) walk around and watch it-listen for squeaks, etc. Mainenance is 100x more fun in July/Aug than when you want to be in the field.

I Likem All

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice for new combine operator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go over and help neighbor harvest his crop and learn to operate combine READ operators manual 4400 nice combine to learn on. GOOD LUCK ILM

Mike in Ne

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Advice for new combine operator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try and find a John Deere FMO manual on harvesting. Good info in them.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters