Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone used Flex Seal? I always seem to get cracks or puntures in my rubber boots and I thought it might work better than Goop or some other product. Any thoughts?

Larry

Mark W.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just did a pair a couple weeks ago. Used a fiberglass patch glued on first then sprayed. So far, so good.

Cliff Nelson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We always used to use tire patches. Usually worked pretty good. Must be more careful as I get older as I haven't had to patch any in a few years.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never have found anything that is as good as new but Shoe Goo is a quick and easy repair.

Jim NW Mich

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you're talking about thin, flexible boots like Tingleys, I have successfully used super glue to attach thin rubber (bicycle tire innertube, piece of another old boot, etc.). It has worked best when I got complete coverage with the super glue between the boot and the patch. Just have to be careful about any excess glue around the edges! Jim

Jeff NWOH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never bought any, but my impression of flex seal is that it is just rubberized undercoating.

If you want to try it you could probably get a can at just about any store with an auto dept and save $20.

I do have my doubts it would work though. I'd be inclined to try a tire patch with rubber cement. I fixed the floor mat in my truck that way where my heel wore through.

tractor300

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've always used the old style hot patches. They've always stuck better than the newer patches.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just patch them with a tire patch and glue. I have found that the newer boots need to be hot/warm for the glue/patch to work. I just heat the area up with my electric heat gun then apply the glue. I then dry the glue with the heat gun. Then put the patch on and heat it some too. This works well. The newer boots will not hold a patch if you do it cold.

Harvey 2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't sea why it won't work. In the Navy my job wuz to keep the screen doors on the submarine from leaking and we used flex seal.
That wuz a yoke.

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Give it a whirl. Probably spray a coat over the entire boot so it doesn't come loose from the boot. And if it does, you will have a new pair of boots!

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Flex Seal for Mending Rubber Boots Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its just a rubberized undercoating. I used it on some seams of a rubber roof and it did help the small slits where water gets in in 8 out of 10 leaky areas. 2 areas are still a problem though. Rustoleum I believe makes the same stuff in a spray can.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.