Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT Other tractors to look for...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kenockee 8N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all. I have a small 9 acre piece of property where I just moved to over the summer.

This fall I picked up a '52 8N. This is my first "Tractor" and I love it. That being said, I can tell that it is limited in what it can do and pull.

The previous owner left a 2 gang set of drag discs and I used these to open up a garden for next year. When the discs were not digging in very deep, I could pull them in 3rd gear. As they worked the ground up, I progressively had to move down to 1st gear to pull these discs.

I don't want to hurt my N but don't want to get rid of it either (kind of fond of her now). I don't have the money for a new compact utility tractor but would be interested in something with a little more power and maybe a loader.

What would your recommendations for something with live hydraulics, power steering and maybe a loader?

I've been told to stay away from the older diesels. Is this true? What about 4x4? I've been told that it is almost needed with a loader?

gwoc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to 8N ownership! I, too, started a love affair that I don't think I can get out of!

I currently own one 9N and four 8Ns. I use them for plowing and bush-hogging. I rarely use any gear but first. I've heard that the 600 series are great for additional power. I'm considering finding out for myself.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kenockee 8N wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:37:58 01/11/17) Hi all. I have a small 9 acre piece of property where I just moved to over the summer.

This fall I picked up a '52 8N. This is my first "Tractor" and I love it. That being said, I can tell that it is limited in what it can do and pull.

The previous owner left a 2 gang set of drag discs and I used these to open up a garden for next year. When the discs were not digging in very deep, I could pull them in 3rd gear. As they worked the ground up, I progressively had to move down to 1st gear to pull these discs.

I don't want to hurt my N but don't want to get rid of it either (kind of fond of her now). I don't have the money for a new compact utility tractor but would be interested in something with a little more power and maybe a loader.

What would your recommendations for something with live hydraulics, power steering and maybe a loader?

I've been told to stay away from the older diesels. Is this true? What about 4x4? I've been told that it is almost needed with a loader?

If you can't afford/justify new there are still plenty of very nice used compact and small utility tractors on the market. Personally, if you need a loader tractor I would suggest you look for a mid to late 90's or newer 4WD diesel with hydrostatic transmission They offer a lot of conveniences like quick attach loaders that you won't find on older machines and an HST has it all over gear drive for loader work. You may also find that a true compact tractor is a little too small for your needs and I would suggest something a little larger - something in the 30-40 HP and up range.

There are a lot of older and larger 2WD gas engine machines at around the same or perhaps lower price. Wouldn't be my first choice for a number of reasons but they offer a lot of bang for the buck.

Whatever you do get some test drive seat time on machines that you think are probably out of your price range. Run a new HST loader through some simulated loader work and then do the same with a mid 70's gear drive tractor. That way you will get a better appreciation of what you may be giving up with an older and less featured machine. You may decide you need to spend a bit more than you really wanted....

TOH

PS> I am an orange tractor man but there are plenty of other good tractors - just a different color. You will pay a premium for the green ones.....

Tim PloughNman Daley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1st gear seems too slow for doing much. I use it when bush hogging especially new territory where weeds are too high to see obstructions, but always survey the area good first anyway. I use 2nd gear mostly -plowing; discing; snow removal/back bladng; et al. With my Dearborn Disc harrow, I work up gardens and food plots in 2nd, then switch to 3rd once the soil is uncovered. I tie cinder blocks on for added weight to help it penetrate deeper. I agree a newer model with FEL and HST is the way to go but I'd hang on to the 8N as well. The Kubota brand is pretty decent and my local dealer always has plenty of new and used in supply. My neighbor bought a M-F 1010 and found out he couldn't pull a 2-bottom plow. The old Fords are good at stuff like that. A newer model with bucket is a great asset for utility chores as well as snow removal. May need to check category of hitch too so old implements will work.

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

Jim in Eastern NC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So in breaking new ground and getting progressively deeper with your disc you have to go to 1st gear..., and this is a problem because_______? Having moved up to an 8N from a Merry Tiller in the 90's, I am very thankful for 1st gear and generally use it for everything except mowing (2nd). There are worlds of work these old tractors can do and do so reliably and with small amounts of fuel. Consider using whatever you would spend on a newer, higher HP, and more gadget-happy tractor with implements. Use the 8N slowly and carefully, and learn all its amazing properties. Folks farmed big areas with these machines; they can do a lot of work with the right implement and proper use. Take good care of it and it will take care of you.

Kenockee 8N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jim in Eastern NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:51:34 01/11/17)
So in breaking new ground and getting progressively deeper with your disc you have to go to 1st gear..., and this is a problem because_______? Having moved up to an 8N from a Merry Tiller in the 90's, I am very thankful for 1st gear and generally use it for everything except mowing (2nd). There are worlds of work these old tractors can do and do so reliably and with small amounts of fuel. Consider using whatever you would spend on a newer, higher HP, and more gadget-happy tractor with implements. Use the 8N slowly and carefully, and learn all its amazing properties. Folks farmed big areas with these machines; they can do a lot of work with the right implement and proper use. Take good care of it and it will take care of you.

Thanks everyone for the replies. My concern with discing in first gear is not a time or speed issue. I just don't want to work my N too hard. I understand that newer tractors have more power but also, because of most likely a lighter chassis, may not be able to pull as much as an older tractor. I don't want to end up with 10 tractors that are the best at one thing and that is the only thing I use it for, but I would also not mind having a second tractor with more ability than the N has. I was thinking of something in the 30-40HP range with 4x4 and a loader.
If I have to disc in first gear or move the angle of the discs to be less sever, I am OK with that, as long as I'm not hurting my little N.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" I was thinking of something in the 30-40HP range with 4x4 and a loader. "

Don't forget power steering. I have several N's and a 601. The Ns are great for working up the soil in my garden. I use the
601 for mowing. I have a 1999 Kubota for loader work. The Kubota doesn't have draft control and isn't suited for plowing. The
Ns were designed for plowing, but I would avoid one with a loader.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-HCooke wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:45:11 01/11/17) " I was thinking of something in the 30-40HP range with 4x4 and a loader. "

Don't forget power steering. I have several N's and a 601. The Ns are great for working up the soil in my garden. I use the
601 for mowing. I have a 1999 Kubota for loader work. The Kubota doesn't have draft control and isn't suited for plowing. The
Ns were designed for plowing, but I would avoid one with a loader.

The purpose of draft control when plowing is to maintain traction when the draft from the plow gets heavy. When the draft gets too heavy for the tractor the lift automatically raise the plow to reduce the draft. That allowed a little 8N to pull a 2 bottom plow in heavy soil without losing traction. I plow my garden with my 19 HP Kubota and a 14" one bottom. Just keep my hand on the lift control - aka poor man's draft control. Put enough horsepower and weight to work and you can pull a 2 bottom plow just fine with position control and both hands on the wheel. Keep in mind - the guy in the video is selling plows not Kubota tractors Wink

Kubota "compact tractor" pulling a 2 x 12

henryv11
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We started farming 40 acres during the war with a 1944 9N had a 2 bottom plow and 6 foot
disc and 2 row cult JD 290 planter woods bros 1 row picker. Then got a McCormick Deering
10-20 for the heavy work that set up worked fine still have all the equipment. I think the
same should work for your set up

Ed S. (IL)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the same desire, and after a brief affair with an AC 190, I ended up buying another 8N!

es

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First of all, don't worry about hurting your
tractor. It will either run out of power -
or traction, before you damage anything.
I suppose if you filled the rear tires AND
add heavy wheel weights and then started ram
rodding the thing you could break something
but you would almost have to try to break it
before you would.
That said, if you want to stick with a small
Ford look for a 3000.
Hold out for one with the options you want
as not all of them were fully optioned.
Look for one with an 8 speed transmission
with live PTO. Get one with power steering
and differential lock.
They heve 3 cylinder engines - either gas or
diesel. All of them have live hydraulics.
They are rated at 37/38 horsepower, 50% more
than an N. About 7" longer wheelbase and
1000 lbs heavier.
They are amazingly reliable, easy to get
parts for, not difficult to work on and
rather familial to someone who's owned an N.
They are also not too expensive. $4000
should get you a good unit that doesn't need
to have much beyond some tweaking done to
it.
I have owned, worked and worked on a bunch
of Ns, Hundred Series and Thousand Series
tractors up to 50 hp.
Of them all I think the 3 cyl Thousands are
the Best. The photo is my great friend Dick
mowing with my 3000 diesel and 6' Bush Hog.
I've had this tractor for about 15 years
now. It is way more tractor than an 8N. As
the saying goes, they will have to pry it
from my cold, dead fingers.

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 2000 or 3000 Ford with a loader would be a handy tractor to add to your collection,be sure to get live power and power steering if you have a loader,(not all of them had live power).The 3 cyl. series would
be my choice.

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know I am going to get knocked around a bit here for saying this, but I can take it,

About the highest cost tractor for what you get hp wise, is a small John Deere, Ford, or Ferguson add a loader and the price shoots the moon,
good tractors so in no way running them down , just popular tractors

Just thinking outside of the box here, Might look at other brands of smaller tractors with loaders: example international 454 or 554, Oliver, case,
AC 5060
I may have some of these model numbers wrong, good tractors, but may not hold there resale a high as the ones I mentioned earlier
However, always remember no matter what model you buy, you will need replacement parts at some time if there are no dealers or you can not
order the parts then that might be a deal breaker no matter the price,

Just worth a look see, winter is always the best time to look for farm equipment, unless it's a John Deere they are always top dollar

Ron Weber
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an 8N and a Ferguson to-20. Both are great tractors. But for heavy work, I picked up a FORD 1801 with loader and hoe for
$400. Clutch was out, running on three of four cylinders, but with some TLC I couldn't live with out it.

As for disking, and other items, A 8N will do you well IF you are not in a hurry. Take off some disks, or drop the extra gang, or
reduce the angle the gangs are set at. As for the other tasks, you can get a rear scoop, make a carryall, etc. We had the 8N,
Farmall f-12, and a cub lowboy on the farm for many years (like 25) before I found the old 1801.

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OT Other tractors to look for... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kubota-about a 50 horse...I'd love to have one for20 acres-mostly bushhogging..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters