Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

3020 voltage reg question.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle Beagle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: 3020 voltage reg question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I hooked up the batteries in a 3020 diesel today, I noticed a spark and currant draw with key switch and lights off. I found that there was voltage present in the wire coming from the field post on the voltage regulator to chassis ground with wiring not connected to generator. Removed the cover and was unable to stop the voltage regardless of which contacts were opened on the coils.

I wish there was a more detailed diagram of the VR and how its outputs should read. This is the 24 volt system.

http://charliemckinley.com/3010/Gary_Wece_Wire_Diagram_colored.pdf

This is the schematic I'm using. Starting, charging and lights are the only circuit's being used, others are disconnected.

Any reply's would be appreciated, as I've worn out the topic search function!

Beagle

MikeinKy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 voltage reg question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those 24 volt systems are difficult to diagnose . I changed all of mine over to 12 volts. I have had no more problems.

Eagle Beagle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 voltage reg question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hear ya! This is a friends tractor, in addition to pinching pennies, he wants to keep the OEM look. First thing I did with the 4020 I bought was the conversion.

Thank's for the reply!

Ray Tractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 voltage reg question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you polarize the generator? Not sure if it would matter.

matthies
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 voltage reg question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I remember right, if problems with the generator the right side battery will have a draw, if the draw is on the left side check the starter. So hook up the wiring and see if one or the other battery sparks from the draw. One thing to do is disassemble the starter and clean internally to get rid of the brush dust that causes this also.

fdt860
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 voltage reg question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loosen belt and see if the generator is spinning when you connect the battery. Should get hot if it does. This means the cutout is not working properly.

I do not think that you need to change it to 12V, just take your time to understand where the issue is.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 voltage reg question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd suggest to remove starter end cap and check for brush dust which can cause an electrical drain.

I have diagnosed many JD 24 volt systems and understand them better than most people BUT if I owned a JD tractor with 24 volt system it would get changed to 12 volts the very 1st time the electrical system caused a problem.

Kent Petersen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 voltage reg question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have a new delco 24v reg that is correct for the 3020 Will sell for $60.00 shipping included,605 270 1844

Eagle Beagle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 voltage reg question. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone that commented, The next step I took was to inspect the generator. I found that the armature had gotten hot and had slung solder to the point that the wires connecting to the copper contacts had come off and the broken wires were making contact with the field coil shoes. New armature and VR fixed this one. Multiple thanks to everyone here on the Deere board.

Beagle.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters