Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Omni MTK paint and coverage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hunt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Omni MTK paint and coverage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am painting an Oliver Hart Parr 18-28. I have painted these tractors before using PPG Delstar acrylic enamel with great results. That product is no longer available in my area and my supplier recommended the Omni MTK urethane over the MAE enamel. I used the MAE on a MM corn sheller and coverage on pitted surfaces and castings was a problem but 4 coats covered. The MTK with tree coats will not cover on the castings and pitted parts. It covers fine on flat smooth panels. It is being applied over MP170 epoxy primer. I am mixing to the recommendations. Is anyone else having coverage issues and what do you do to correct them? I am thinking of trying a fast dry reducer and less of it in the ratio.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Omni MTK paint and coverage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen what you are discribing but not had that problem with MTK OMNI. How long has your MP170 sat before you top coated? If your pushing the record window I suggest you try scuffing and giving it another coat of MP170 reduced 10% and top coat with in an hour. Another thing to check is some of the Omni greens are particular about primer colot and the one you would guess is right, isnt.

TJ in KY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Omni MTK paint and coverage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used the Omni MTK with hardener over the MP 170 epoxy in the recoat window (3 days) and put 3 coats on and still had a few spots that looked kind of thin. (red over black epoxy) On the tin work I did 3 coats just to make sure I got good coverage Grey over grey epoxy. This was my first tractor paint job so I have nothing to compare it with but I did see that complaint on other sites.

hunt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Omni MTK paint and coverage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The epoxy was on for about an hour is all. I will check on primer color tomorrow. I used gray.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:04 am    Post subject: Re: Omni MTK paint and coverage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used a MTK green very similar to what you would use on a H-P and if I remember right the primer had to be red. I am certain that it wasn't gray because that was my standard color and it was different.

RandyB(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Omni MTK paint and coverage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used nothing but PPG since 1985 when they came out with BC/CC Deltron system. The only Omni product I will use is their 2 k epoxy primer. I heve never found a difference in it and PPG accept shorter top coat window. Can't say the same for Omni. You get exactly what you pay for. PPG has way higher solids content, thus the price. If you have time for 3-4 coats and the resulting dust/dirt that you will get in each coat, then use Omni. PPG / 2 coats max and only 2 chances for dirt/runs/etc. One saves nothing in my opinion. Try spraying JD yellow on cast wheel centers with Omni. Hey, I tried it and it sucks.

hunt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Omni MTK paint and coverage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wish I could find a place that still mixed the Delstar acrylic enamel in NW Ohio. I think I am going to try PPG Delefleet Essential polyurethane.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Omni MTK paint and coverage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MTK will cover every part-- cast or sheet metal. I use three coats simply in case I miss something. Omni, though is not as good as higher priced ones. I am currently using Omni as 2 stage on the sheet metal--base followed by clear bringing out the color. 3 clears allow removal of mistakes and anything that gets into my paint in my rather dirty building. MBC base followed by clear works better and looks better than MTK.

jfred
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Omni MTK paint and coverage Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I have had the same things happen with Omni MTK on cast. I usually use the fast reducer and cut down to 1/2 reducer which is allowed by the spec sheet. It definitely helps, but an extra coat really helps too. The MBC which is the base clear really eliminates that problem if you don't mind laying clear down.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters