Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Finding grandpas D

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jd adict
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So continueing on it was such a relief to finally see the tractor I have heard so much about growing up
A tractor that almost 60 years ago my father stamped his name in because he was so upset it was leaving the farm
Now for the question
Would u sell it
The owners son was so impressed that we dedicated ourselves to locate this family tractor and for him to witness my dad scratching the front of a tractor to find his name it truly was a miracle
He was more than willing to sell the tractor and even suggested for a bit more money we could buy the one beside it for parts .
The price slightly more than scrap , which I was always worried the tractor ended up being
So after a several pictures taken including my father kneeling infront of the rad and the previous owner ( photo shown)
And my dad and I standing from behind it
We loaded them up and hauled them home
Over the spare time we will slowly get it up on good tires and rims to make it portable and in the shop
My father has put the word out to his 6 other brothers that they all are getting sandpaper for Christmas to help with the restoration of the tractor they grew up on
It has been rewarding to me that this task has been fulfilled and that I was part of a lifetime adventure with my father to find a family heirloom
It will eventually be refurbished to new and preserved for further enjoyment and story telling for future family generations to come
The final picture i include is my fathers name hi lighted with a paint marker every center punch dot he painfully stamped in almost 60 years ago
It was a very emotional day when I finally laid eyes on grandpas D
I guess you could say another task off the bucket list
Thanks for reading

greenmech
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice ending! Ron Mn

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glad you found it. The adventure of finding it was a bonding moment for you and your Father!!!

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Excellent story and ending... and great photos!

Hotflashjr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:38 am    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a great story and find!

RudyM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They're both in good condition! When I got mine from my grandfather, it was in worse shape than they are. Shouldn't take too much to get it shiny again.

Larry EC-OH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So......
You are not going to remove the punch marks, right?
To me that's part of the whole value of this tractor.
I hope it remains in the family for a long, long time.
Best wishes, Larry

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great story! Its amazing how we get connected to our past and its great to have those links. Within sight of me as I write this is the BR that my Dad farmed with....there is no money that would part me from it. At my brothers is a C Case that was Dad's second tractor.....the first tractor I ever "painted".....I was 3 or so. No Spraying, no brushing, just dip your hand in the paint and slap it on the tractor. 50 years later there are still some traces.....maybe I should have used a center punch!
Get that D to a show or two, running or not.
Also want to talk to our Dad regarding a Wagner

Dan Nickels
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I love the story (an pictures). I have the first tractor my dad bought when he quit using a team of horses. (Unfortunately it was an orange thing, not John Deere). This tractor which he bought used in 1950 has been on this farm (which is now mine) for almost 70 years. Few things compare to the joy of using a tractor that is a family treasure. I am happy for you and your Dad, and hope you have many good memories working together on it.

jd adict
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No center punch marks stay.
will have to leave off the john deere decal for the front when restoring it i think

jd adict
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no problem, he would be glad to talk tractors, especially wagners.
send me an email

greenmech
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hope you also read the first part further down? Ron Mn

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Finding grandpas D Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ron,
I did now... EXCELLENT ADVENTURE!!!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters