Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rookie question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:44 am    Post subject: Rookie question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm restoring a john deere. As rebuild/repair things, I sandblast everything I can and strip/wire wheel the rest. After I clean the parts I coat with self etching primer. I then rattle can with John deere paint the mating surfaces of objects and hard to get to edges and corners. Once project is totally reassembled I will Spray entire tractor with paint/hardener from Deere. My question is, will this self etching primer be enough, or do I need to spray entire tractor with a sealing primer on top and then paint? Thank you in advance.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Rookie question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Generally self etching is used on new metal, while on old stuff you use epoxy. Epoxy needs to be top-coated within a window that is around 48 hours. After top-coating over a base primer, every tiny scratch, pit, and dimple will show through the paint. If this is OK with what you are looking to achieve it is OK. If you want a nicer smoother finish, after your base primer you will want to apply a fairly heavy coat of primer-surfacer, which fills a lot of scratches and other flaws. A sealing primer comes into play if you get even more proactive about smoothness and use a polyester primer-surfacer. It needs a sealing coat after sanding out. If you are going to be putting a lot of time into the prep, you may want to consider automotive 2K urethane paint. I use Dupont's Nason line. It is a big step up from machinery alkyd enamel that you get at an equipment dealer, but not big money.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rookie question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The self-etching primer is alright but epoxy primer would be so much better. The rattle can paint is your weakest link. It's a substandard coating which when peals will remove your better topcoat.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rookie question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd question the wisdom of doing a lot of sandblasting. Sand has an uncanny knack for getting into places where it's least wanted and most destructive.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rookie question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would definitely plan to disassemble and clean after sand blasting.

Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rookie question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the information Guys! As for sandblasting, the only things getting blasted are parts I remove from tractor and take to a guy with a large blasting set up. I then prime and rattle can where the pieces bolt together with plans of spraying entire tractor at the end. Thanks again.

FBH44
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Rookie question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That right there is just about the best way to do it.

Married2Allis
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rookie question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:58:06 04/15/17) The self-etching primer is alright but epoxy primer would be so much better. The rattle can paint is your weakest link. It's a substandard coating which when peals will remove your better topcoat.

You can do the rattle can approach, but you need let it harden and cure before applying the better top coat -- which could be months.

umc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Rookie question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also make sure where ever you used the wire wheel you go back over it with some sand paperby hand .Because the wire wheel spins so fast it sometimes polishes the metal when it stripes it.I have seen people paint over the wire wheel marks and they are so smooth the paint will not stick and lift off even with the etch primer..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters