Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

backing an equipment trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Traditional Farmer,
The truck has very good mirrors and I use them for backing. We bought a 20 foot boat in 1977. A single axle trailer is used for the boat. At the time we had a 1966 ford F 100. This truck had good mirrors. Necessary to back the boat down the launch ramp at Shilshole launch ramp here in Seattle. I have had some experience backing trailers. I used to always back the boat into our driveway when returning from fishing.
Years later I put a front receiver hitch on the 1966 and the 1974 F 100 pick ups which were handy for moving the boat in the yard
our first vehicle with 4 wheel drive was a new 2007 Nissan exterra. My first experience with 4 wheel drive newer version vehicle.
Have had experience with the much older 4 wheel drive vehicles. Didn't back anything with these vehicles Thanks for the information

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rustyfarmall,
You sure know about the older 4 wheel drive vehicles. I am 75 years old now ,The older vehiles were very positive with the separate lever for high and low range I remember one thing about the 6 x 6 vehicles of years ago. They would really go places but going across something with a deep area to a higher area the back of the truck would bottom out at times but the front drive seemed to pull them through I can't remember if the old 6 x 6 ( military surplus , WW 2 versions ) had two positions when they were shifted into 6 wheel drive.
My Wife and I started collecting farm tractors 40 years ago. We have sold most of out tractors but still have 5 tractors left.I always wanted an equipment trailer to move the tractors between our two places. This whole thing new truck, new trailer, is a fun thing for us.

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering,
I have tried 4HI only and the 2016F150 does not have lockout hubs. You are correct about backing on hard surface, There is what I called Lock Stepping of the truck, this is probably the binding you mentioned. Transmission is automatic so I will try learning to back the eq. trailer with 2 wheel drive. One place I need to back is difficult: Have to turn into oncoming traffic and back into our property. luckily we are in a very rural area so traffic isn't too bad.
The way the load ( tractor on the trailer } puts a good load on back of the truck . This keeps the rear wheels from spinning.

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretend Farmer,
Good information. The only time I use four wheel drive is when the back wheels begin to spin. As the weather gets drier the field will dry and will probably not need to use 4 wheel drive.

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:16:48 04/20/17) Do you put it in 4HI or 4LO?

There is a valid reason for using 4LO to back up a trailer, especially if you're a novice. It gives you a slower gear and better control over the speed as you are backing up.

If you have lockout hubs on the front, even better, no binding. Unfortunately if you are backing on a hard surface and doing a lot of maneuvering with a modern 4x4 truck, you can get some pretty bad driveline binding.

Not really necessary on an automatic. Most people have autos these days.
My previous truck had an NV4500 5 speed manual. The reverse ratio was very fast and it was a 2wd truck. You learn how to backup trailers quick with that.

PretendFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rustyfarmall wrote:

Older 4 wheel drive vehicles (much older) had a seperate lever for the high and low range which allowed you to use the low range in 2 wheel drive if needed. Sometimes, progress isn't progress.

Its a useful feature on a manual transmission truck but pretty useless on an automatic. Now that there are nearly zero pickup trucks made with a manual transmission, it would just be something else to break.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good place to practice backing a trailer is in a big empty parking lot that has parking spaces marked by painted lines. The painted lines are great references that force you to rely on your side mirrors. Stay clear of any light poles any you can't hurt anything. No one will bother you and no one will be looking over your shoulder as you practice. Relax and have fun.

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ss55,
Good idea for practice backing an equipment trailer. I like the idea of learning without without an audience.
Thanks, Chris

kcm.MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For practice, try driving your trailer to a large empty parking lot some evening or weekend, but one that has clear parking lines. Then use those lines to help learn how to react to backing up a trailer.

I never use 4wd unless traction issue. If you're inexperienced at backing, I would probably recommend against the use of 4lo as you may be more likely to get into a situation where you need to turn hard one way or another, and you really don't want to stress your system needlessly. On the other hand, it is correct that it will slow you down and give you more reaction time to make changes.

As for backing up in wet/mussy/snowy conditions, I "have" used 4hi before, but again, only when traction is an issue. In snow, that is quite often. The nearest pavement to us is 20 miles away and our driveway is 1/2 mile long. So yes, I use 4hi more than I'd like to.

We have two trucks, both 1/2-ton. A Chevy with push button 4wd and a Dodge with shift on the floor 4wd. The Chevy works well for driving down the road and needing to shift into 4wd, but will not shift from a sitting position with wheels stopped. The Dodge, however, is very good at shifting between the ranges while sitting still. So the Dodge is our plow truck and normally what I try to use in Winter on our place. I just don't like it on the road - need to fix a little wobble in the Dodge's steering.

One more thing - if you go to an empty parking lot for backing practice, remember to also go there at night so you can practice in those conditions. Once you feel competent at backing, affix some wood stakes to your trailer and, once at the parking lot, add black plastic to the stakes and again practice backing. This will get you used to backing with the least visibility possible. Do this and I promise you'll be an expert in no time.

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kcm.MN

Thanks for the excellent suggestions for practicing backing a trailer such as the equipment trailer we have. I am looking forward to practice backing the trailer.

kcm.MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Happy to help. Smile

Dune Country
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When my daughter was 17 and in 4H we had a 3 horse slant load and my '99 supercab.
She was always after me to let her take the truck/trailer to shows. I finally told her if she could back it around our circular driveway without any pull fowards she could use it. All of her spare time was spent practicing, finally she did it. Practice, practice.

I did shadow her to the next show Wink

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dune Country,

I agree that practice backing our equipment trailer is the best way to learn. One fortunate thing, our equipment is in a very rural area no major highways. Many places for me to practice

Dan67
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use low range alot. Have a 5speed diesel and reverse is long legged. No slipping the clutch in tight areas. Don't have to turn in the hubs, just like the gear reduction. Just my two cents

ejensen
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: backing an equipment trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dan67,
Low range can be very helpful. Two of the farm tractors we have, both gear transmissions, have a lever to engage a lower reduction in the gears for slow movement. A great benefit for many things we do with the tractors.
Sounds like you are able to engage the low gear reduction without engaging the front wheels. unable to do this with our pickup. Front wheel drive is in drive position when low 4wheel drive is used.Have only used 4 wheel drive high with the pick up we have now have only had it for several months.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters