Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Massey 50

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mark20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buddy of mine bought a Massey 50 early last year, used it once to bush hog . Next morning went out to fire it up and it was locked up, it's been there ever since. He offered it to me pretty cheap,it's in decent shape. I'm pretty familiar with farmall's but not with massey's. Was thinking of repowering with something else but doesn't look that easy to do. Any suggestions? Look into fixing or repower with something else?

miner09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

May not be a lot wrong. There are very easy to work on or rebuild.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are not easy to repower because the engine is part of the frame. The engine's used in the 50 are easy to rebuild, and the parts are not that expensive. What engine does it have, it would be either a Continental 4cyl gas, or a Perkins 3cyl diesel.

mark20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a 4 cylinder gas. I'm glad to hear that they're cheap to rebuild. Are they the same motor as the 135?.

rockepg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Basically same engine. Z134 in the 50 vs the Z145 in the 135.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am willing to bet it is a jammed starter bendix, clutch or PTO bound up- i forgot exactly, cause it wan't suppose to be mine at the time, but my MH50 was tight when we got it, but it was more to do with the barbed wire spun under the brushhog. Miner might remember, he was the one who un- stuck it...

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rockepg wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:50:08 04/21/17) Basically same engine. Z134 in the 50 vs the Z145 in the 135.

Some of the early 135's had the Z134, MF probably using up the rest of the Z134's in inventory.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mark20 wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:56:37 04/21/17) It's a 4 cylinder gas. I'm glad to hear that they're cheap to rebuild. Are they the same motor as the 135?.

Look at the starter first like Tony suggested, I've seen that happen.

miner09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All I did was unhook the pto. Tractor was OK.

mark20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last year when he called me to ask what he should do ,I got him to pull the starter out. He said that didn't work,I got him to check the oil for metal or antifreeze but said it was clean. He's a good guy but not that handy. Im picking it up today ,I'll get it to the shop and check it out. Hopefully before my wife see's I picked up ANOTHER tractor

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be hydrolocked, head gasket leaked coolant into a cylinder. You'll know when you pull the spark plugs out.

Joe Ferguson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The needle in carburetor may leak and the cylinders are full of gas
can be checked by removing the plugs and try to turn the engine.
If it is the case an oil change is imperative.

On these old machines it is recommended to shut the valve on the
sediment bowl when tractor is not in use.

mark20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok ,got the tractor home.Got digging in,and found all the bearings had been scared up and got hot. The mains look ok and the crank can be saved. Didn't find what was the cause , took the oil pump apart and found the top gear and broken a tooth and sheared of the drive pin. Glad we found that, I'll rebuild the bottom end and should be ready to go

rockepg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a broken tooth in the pump then that is why the bearings are gone. It was pumping metal into the rest of the engine. Lost pressure and bearings over heated. While you have it out i would take the rest apart and give it a good cleaning to make sure any and all metal is out of there. I keep a set of journal brushes on hand for just that task.
Check the bottom of the pan and see if there is any metal "pebbles" in there. Small enough to fit through the pickup screen. Something else might have started to come apart and got sucked into the pump.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 50 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll tell ya. For the extra couple hundred bucks, and couple days of work, do the whole engine. The rings and sleeves must be just as bad, and as rockrpg said, little pieces of metal are all over in there. Then you know you got something for the long run.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters