Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbrady.glide
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am trying to resurrect in 1939 Farmall A, but when I hand crank it over the engine hangs up. I can get it freed up by pulling it in fourth gear backwards. It has cranked several revolutions past where it hangs up a few times but continues to catch. Any ideas as to what might be catching in the motor? Could it be the timing gears? Its strictly a hand cranking job as it has no starter or any other electrical components beside the magneto.

This was one of those "Oh it ought to fire right up with some fresh gas" kind of deals from the guy selling it. It allegedly ran when parked. But whatever trouble it is is worth it: it was the first tractor my greatgrandparents bought.

Red Dave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It could be a lot of things, but my first thought is that there may be something on top of a piston preventing it from getting to the top?
Did you have the head off of it? Can you take the spark plugs out and shine a light in and look in the cylinders, maybe you can see something?

Is everything in the valve train free and lubricated?
Have you tried blocking the clutch down and try it without the transmission input shaft turning?

Just a few things off the top of my head.

mbrady.glide
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Valve cover is off. Have pulled all the spark plugs. There is some rust and scale that I have been vacuuming out of the cylinders. It had the exhaust valve on cylinder four stuck open and the pushrod was loose of the rocker arm. Possibly a stuck lifter? Or bad cam gear?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like one of the many I buy. Ran when parked but been parked for years. On those fil the cylinders with ATF and put the plugs back in then pour as much ATF down the exhaust pipe and let it sit a week. The pull the plugs out and spin it over to clear the cylinders. I bet once you do that it will spin over nicely and maybe the valves will work better also. BTDT many many many times and the ATF will clean up the rust and free up sticking rings and sticking valves

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And quite possibly blow the rust out of the spark plug hole. Good idea. Jim

khouse6
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

had a cub, that started becoming hard to turn and then quit turning, at a point. i had added coolant and # 2 cylinder was leaking and cylinder walls were rusting.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Done a good many and some where locked up and out of over 30 only 1 or 2 did not free up and go back to work with out a lot of other work

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably catching on the rust on the sides of the sleeves. IF you can get it run, its most likely going to smoke, since there are, more than likely, pits in the sleeve walls.

MJ in the UK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had the same thing happen over 40yrs ago. Take the gearbox top off to see if the pin wich holds the reverse gear in place has worked loose and is jamming the gears. MJ

mbrady.glide
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It still hangs up even with the clutch depressed, which would preclude a transmission issue.

mbrady.glide
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The engine turned over freely when I started working on it. Oil was dirty, but no water showing in it. I hand cranked it over several dozen times before it hung up. At either place it hangs up one cylinder is at approximately TDC.

john *.?-!.* cub owner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove the mag and see if it turns over without binding.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 1939 Farmall A hanging up while cranking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it has sat for a long time as in maybe years with out being turned over as your messing with it now things tend to free up so you may have rings that where sticking but now free and catching on any rust in the cylinders and causing the problem you have. That is why i say fill the cylinder with ATF and pour it down the exhaust so the rust gets dissolved

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters