Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sarge Wilson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1970 vintage 410B that worked great up until a few months ago. I have lost hydraulics to all functions except the transmission. I was driving it home when I lost steering at the end of my driveway. I found the fluid level low. After replacing fluid I manually turned in the destroke bleeder screw on top of the destroke valve and still had no hydraulics. I removed the destroke solenoid and tested the electro magnet it works fine but I'm not sure if it is suppose to open the small holes at the end of the solenoid. It doesn't seem to move anything. The manual states in the trouble shooting section that no hydraulics the destroke solenoid could be the fault. I have good flow through the pump. This is an expensive part and want to check with others before I purchase it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to YT.
Hyd pump should operate in the absence of destroking screw if plugged off. Is hyd pump shaft spinning when engine is running IE is pump coupler not stripped out?

Sarge Wilson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast reply. Yes we checked the shaft and coupler from the front of the crank shaft and all is turning fine. With the electric solenoid removed and the engine turned over without starting it seems to put sufficient amounts of fluid out the open hole for the destroke solenoid. I read on this site that the destroke solenoid was to relieve pressure on engine start up, my tractor engine seems to start fine with or without this device working. It almost seems like a valve somewhere in the system is stuck open and allowing the fluid to bipass the attachments and only allowing the transmission to work. There is no steering, front loader, or rear boom operation at all. This happened a short time after I purchased this vehicle and I turned in the destroke bleeder screw and hydraulic operation returned after s few minutes, not this time.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much oil is the transmission hydraulic system pushing up the pipe to the front pump ?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stroke control valve(key 44) could be stuck open or have a worn seating area or debris in seating area.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IIRC manually turning IN the destroking screw will destroke it as in not letting it build pressure.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The splines on the pump shaft can strip out and it is very hard to tell till you remove the shaft and actually look at the splines..it is near impossible to see the pump shaft at the end of the pump "drive" shaft..take a closer look at that...

Sarge Wilson
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

to Buickanddeere, I bumped the starter with the electric destroker solenoid removed and the front pump discharged over 2 liters (approx 2 1/2 quarts) of fluid so I assume the pump is getting enough oil pushed to it from the transmission pump. To Tim I'm not sure if this would happen if the shaft splines were bad. However I'm also not sure but if the destroker valve as Jim has shown was stuck in the open position would that not bipass the fluid or divert it from building the necessary pressure required for operation. Another question is this something that can be serviced in the tractor or should I remove the pump unit. I'm quite mechanicly capable of removing the unit but not too comfortable at tearing it down. Yet.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think 2-1/2 quarts could be trans pump output not necessarily main hyd pump output. I guess it would depend how long you bumped engine over. I will recommend performing more diagnostics before removing frt pump.

High Octane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 300, that coupler can strip, it will strip when it's running, and will pump at cranking speed. I've owned the 300 long enough to go thru 7 shafts. 😞

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 410B Backhoe Loader hydraulic issue Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like oil is being moved up to the front pump. In cases of hydraulic trouble shooting I would defer to the wisdom and experience of TimS as being the most correct, the most often.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters