Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alsparl
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have not made the leap to purchase a set of new rear tires for my ZTU at this time because I simply haven't needed to. They currently have a set of good ole CO-OP Super Power Plus tires on them that are more than likely older than I am (41). They hold air very well (probably tubed) but are really cracked. For appearance and fear that one may blow if I attempt to do any tinkering in a field, plow day, or on a tractor drive, I am thinking I might want to "get interested" in a set. I usually see them between $350-600 per tire from known reputable manufacturers, which is a substantial investment.

With that being said, I have seen a number of ads over the last 6 months where irrigation pivot tires are being advertised for less than $200 per tire. Now I realize there is a lot to look into such as purpose, durability, tire ply, etc; but what are your thoughts about these? Would they even be an option for a show tractor that would do very little if any field work? Opinions wanted and feel free to educate me. As the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Aaron

Doug Cotton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most of my pivot tires are recaps. You may want to check deeper
into this so you dont wind up being surprised if you order them
and they show up this way. Just my 2 cents.

Jd7020
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If they have been removed from a pivot they are prob no better than yours, they sit outside all year and they wouldn't be taken off because of wear, about the only thing that happens to them is they dry rot and crack.

rvirgil_KS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pivot tires I've seen would be too small a rim diameter. Also there will be fewer traction bars on the tire

ZTU would likely use a 38" tire, pivot tires would be 24 likely to 28 max from what I've seen.

Oliver662011
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just look around and find a decent set at auction or classifieds. From my experience they got to be very rotted to cause a problem you won't find a somewhat affordable set with no checking.

hd6gtom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

alspar I sold many new pivot tires and put them on tractors for fellows doing exactly what you are doing. Casing is a bit lighter but you could not tell they were different by looking at the tread. I cannot remember 1 failure.

Roger H MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would get new Firestone tires, it will
make the tractor look and run better.

Alan K
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If they are the old 11-38s you are looking for you may also find some on some
of the modern field sprayers. I have seen 12.4 X 38 tires on them. Often
wondered about a set myself.

wilson ind
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

run better??

Rich'sToys
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a used 12.4-38 tire just yesterday. The guy at the tire shop said it had come off a sprayer.

cornerpost
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you buy a new set they hold value well as hardly used on collector tractor.

alsparl
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted - Rear Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tires I have seen advertised are not take offs or recaps, rather new production tires in 11.2-38 or 12.4-38 sizes.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters