Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Our 2N Snow Plow

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flatheadpete
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Our 2N Snow Plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well that escalated quickly.

RET-N-IA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Our 2N Snow Plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'LL say. I still don't get it.why all the frustration?MJM

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HFJ wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:09:56 05/18/17)
LOL, the plot thickens! it showed me the backslash when i previewed, but now it's gone. ah, gotta love it.

I suspect he is using Classic view where HTML is allowed and of course per the rules it eats unescaped backslashes.

YAML - Yet Another Markup Language Wink

BBCODE is not one of my favorite markup languages but it is designed to be simple and generally thought to be "easier" for the less sophisticated user to use than HTML which is why it's so popular with online forums. Lets see if this works in Modern view....

One backslash -
Two backslash -
Three backslash -

TOH

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:34:02 05/19/17)
HFJ wrote:
LOL, the plot thickens! it showed me the backslash when i previewed, but now it's gone. ah, gotta love it.

I suspect he is using Classic view where HTML is allowed and of course per the rules it eats unescaped backslashes.

BBCODE is not one of my favorite markup languages but it is designed to be simple and generally thought to be "easier" for the less sophisticated user to use than HTML which is why it's so popular with online forums. Lets see if this works in Modern view....

One backslash -
Two backslash -
Three backslash -

TOH

Let's try that again using the correct slash character Embarassed

One backlash -
Two backslash -
Three backslash -

TOH

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:46:01 05/19/17)
TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:34:02 05/19/17)
HFJ wrote:

One backslash -
Two backslash -
Three backslash -

TOH

Let's try that again using the correct slash character Embarassed

One backlash -
Two backslash -
Three backslash -

TOH

OK - it's broken. Previews fine but the final rendering isn;t correct.

TOH

Ken(Ark)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:

OK - it's broken.

TOH

LOL , so is this guy's tractor . If he got this upset over a simple issue he probably would have been unhappy with the help from this FREE forum .

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ken(Ark) wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:34:51 05/19/17)
TheOldHokie wrote:

OK - it's broken.

TOH

LOL , so is this guy's tractor . If he got this upset over a simple issue he probably would have been unhappy with the help from this FREE forum .

I agree with ya Ken;

I got to wondering why TOH and a few others had problems with the 'backslash not working!!!!
This is a copy of what I tested on the Test Forum here?????

one backslash two bs three bs

forward slash/////////////////

Line of backslashes

Works for me!!!!!

GB ///////////////
Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Question Modern side testing!!!!!

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WELL........I guess that showed me why the others were having problems with the backslashes!!!!!!!!

Mine disappeared as soon as my post was put up.

There one min.............Gone the next!!!!

GB Question

HFJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

for the record, he was using modern view. when u click reply or quote, u can see which someone is using - as it will say CVpost if classic.

HFJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that should have said "when u click reply or quote in modern view... "

Ed S. (IL)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tall T wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:11:42 05/18/17) Hfj wrote:
"dunno about there, but here, u had underscore identified correctly. dash is a synonym for hyphen here Smile

DOH!
I must have picked up a "contact low"! Smile

Then there is the
"en dash" and the "em dash"

The en dash (–) is slightly wider than the hyphen (-) but narrower than the em dash (—)

I use the em dash all the time for time frames; i.e.,
1:15 — 2:25

I'm curious to see if the em dash shows up here. I use "shift/option/hyphen" on a Mac to get it.

When I first posted the backslash it showed up but then disappeared. That's it; I'm taking my tractor and going home.

Tall - don't you know you're not supposed to use spaces with em dashes? Cool

Not to mention, an en dash is more appropriate to separate a range of numbers or times as in your example.

For the non-typographically-inclined, an "en dash" is a dash that's the same width as the letter "n" in that font. Same with "em dash," same width as the letter "m" in that font. Back in the typewriter days, you'd use two hyphens in a row to simulate an em dash.

There's a great little book out there by (not the actor) Robin Williams called The Mac is Not a Typewriter that provides a good layman's introduction to these concepts.

e (guess who studied typography in college) s

Chilidawg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Our 2N Snow Plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a shame. My guess is you guys could have got him straightened out if he'd had a little more patience.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ed S. (IL) wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:59:06 05/19/17)
Tall T wrote:
"dunno about there, but here, u had underscore identified correctly. dash is a synonym for hyphen here Smile

DOH!

Then there is the

The en dash (–) is slightly wider than the hyphen (-) but narrower than the em dash (—)

I'm curious to see if the em dash shows up here. I use "shift/option/hyphen" on a Mac to get it.

When I first posted the backslash it showed up but then disappeared. That's it; I'm taking my tractor and going home.

Not to mention, an en dash is more appropriate to separate a range of numbers or times as in your example.

For the non-typographically-inclined, an "en dash" is a dash that's the same width as the letter "n" in that font. Same with "em dash," same width as the letter "m" in that font. Back in the typewriter days, you'd use two hyphens in a row to simulate an em dash.

There's a great little book out there by (not the actor) Robin Williams called The Mac is Not a Typewriter that provides a good layman's introduction to these concepts.

It's not a typography issue - apparently it's a markup language issue. The slash (/) character is a reserved character in BBCODE syntax and wont' display when used as a normal standalone character. The display width of an em or en is not the problem. Apparently there is no BBCODE syntax for escaping the slash character. In other words it is always interpreted as part of a formatting sequence and gets "eaten" or ignored by the rendering engine when used in a standalone context. The odd part is on this site it previews fine but won't render in the final document.

TOH

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:06:49 05/19/17)
Ed S. (IL) wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:59:06 05/19/17)
Tall T wrote:

DOH!

Then there is the

It's not a typography issue - apparently it's a markup language issue. The slash (/) character is a reserved character in BBCODE syntax and wont' display when used as a normal standalone character. The display width of an em or en is not the problem. Apparently there is no BBCODE syntax for escaping the slash character. In other words it is always interpreted as part of a formatting sequence and gets "eaten" or ignored by the rendering engine when used in a standalone context. The odd part is on this site it previews fine but won't render in the final document.

TOH

And I just showed that to be wrong - it rendered perfectly in my post????

TOH

wallytoo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

""

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters