Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
UP Oliver
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For some reason the baler I am using will not tie a knot on the left side. The twine comes out of the needle eye. This has happened before, I put twine back where it belongs and tie it off down below and it works fine for a couple hundred bales or whatever and then I have to do it again.

For some reason today it continued to be a problem. I would re-thread the needle and it would come back out of there right away. Do I need more tension in the twine disc?

Any help is appreciated.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try it and see.But I doubt it.....The twine disk holds the cut end of the twine.Too loose will simply pull out,especially when you hit a slug. Buy,borrow,somehow obtain a book. Adjust everything 'by the book'. From the beginning to end an it will tie perfectly/famously. I'll bet there are more than one thing out of adjustment.Most old balers are far out of adjustment beacase th first hint of trouble people start 'adjusting'-
tightening/loosening everything. It's wonder they even work at all.....I have a book but it's in the shop and I'm not going out at almost 11PM.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-UP Oliver wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:26:31 08/09/17) For some reason the baler I am using will not tie a knot on the left side. The twine comes out of the needle eye. This has happened before, I put twine back where it belongs and tie it off down below and it works fine for a couple hundred bales or whatever and then I have to do it again.

For some reason today it continued to be a problem. I would re-thread the needle and it would come back out of there right away. Do I need more tension in the twine disc?

Any help is appreciated.

The twine is coming out of the needle eye itself? Are you by chance using sisal twine? If so, I'd say you have some rot in the twine or some of the infamous "thin spots" allowing the twine to break. If you have a long hunk of twine left, then I'd say the twine disc is not holding it right.

UP Oliver
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I am using sisal twine and it comes out of the needle eye. I would suspect a bad spot in the twine but I had to re-thread the needle three times in about 50 feet of hay yesterday so at that point I think I have a different problem.

I have a manual, but it has about the worst troubleshooting guide I've seen. Last week it was not tying knots at all, nothing in the guide. I had to look around enough to determine that it was the knotter stop out of position. There is nothing in there for not tying one side either, I am just guessing the twine disc is not holding tight enough. I guess I will try that first.

Thanks again.

MSS3020
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DeltaREd is on the money.. My baler baled for years I MEAN YEARS without a miss.. until this year.. I swore grimlins came in the shed over winter and screwed with it..
First thing that I know with mine is the needles getting those grooves in the holes.. so fixed those.. still no go.. So got the book and started from the beginning to the end adjusting/checking everything.. And lo and behold it was way out of adjustment in a number of different places...

AND BY THE WAY.. there is a order to adjustments to or atleast in my manual..says to do this first before doing that or wont be correct..

One other thing..I can bale great with 9000 twine from tsc store.. buddy wanted me to try a different brand from a competitor farm store and wouldnt bale with a hoot...

Also remember turning those adjusting screws little at time better than lots at one time..

GOOD LUCK

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's breaking or shredding the twine from worn needles you need to fix that first and check the twin tension. However, if it's hauling the twine from the disc, then you need to tighten the holder on the twine disc. Observe carefully at the disc to see if it's pulled clear or broken.

Rod

Dave Sherburne NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I had that problem a long time ago, It was rotten twine. At the beginning of the season,it started breaking twine. It was twine that had been in the baler all winter and somehow got wet on the bottom and rotted. Baler was always stored inside.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Twine

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't disagree on the poly twine, but keep in mind that a 278 may not have all twine bill hooks, so that may need to be upgraded.

Rod

NHbalerman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check the twine guide in front of needle and make sure it is line with the needle if the twine isnt broke this will cause the twine to get out of the eye of the needle

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IMO it's best to get the issue of bad twine out of the equation right off the bat. I've seen way too many balls of "brand new" sisal twine that was either damp rotted or so full of thin spots that it was useless. As far as bill hooks built for plastic, I've been shown such a critter does exist, but it appears that any older baler will have enough wear to accommodate plastic. Either way, if you try plastic and suddenly instead of breaks at the needle you get a knotting issue, you'll know it was the sisal twine.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you don't have multi-twine hooks it probably won't tie with poly unless you're using a heavy 7200 poly then you might get away with it.
The fingers on the multi-twine hooks close a lot tighter... so you either have to grind the tip off the finger so it closes tighter or
grind/drill a relief into the inside of the hook to allow it to close.
That said, the baler may have a multi-twine hook in which case this is all irrelevant. Many of the Deere's did. From what I've seen of NH...
not so much.
Again, I agree on the twine issue. I haven't found any sisal in the last 10 years that isn't crap. That's why I switched... and it makes the
broken bale problems go away immediately. However, I did go through the misery of changing a baler over to poly and had to rework the bill
hooks for that so I'm fairly confident in saying that the sisal hook will not work properly on most poly twine.

Rod

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know you've reported that before Rod, but I've seen a lot of people with old balers switch right over to poly without a hitch. No way my 1958 baler had poly billhooks. I think they probably work simply because of wear over the decades. I suppose the only way to know is to try it and see.

Bill VA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: NH Hayliner 278 missing a knot Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why do you think poly ties better and/or solves the Knotter problems with sisal?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Bill

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters