Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 4610 Transmission fluid leaking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeng
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Ford 4610 Transmission fluid leaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Ford 4601 tractor got a transmission fluid leaking. The fluid come out from a hole just behind the engine oil pan. I don't have a trailer. The ford dealer is 80 mile away from me. I am trying to fix it myself. Is this possible?
If yes, what kind tool do I need to split the tractor. How to support the engine. your advices are deeply appreciated.

phillip d
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4610 Transmission fluid leaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have never done this before,you want some experienced help around to split the tractor,not saying you will actually need to,but if you do,get someone experienced to help you.It may save you money and/or your life.It is best to seperate it on a smooth as possible cement floor.A bottle jack and blocking can support the front half,and a floor jack on wheels for the back so you can roll it away safely.Either way,it is an awfull lot easier with help to roll it apart,and put it back together.If it is leaking fluid,than there must be a shaft seal leaking by,or atleast in my opinion.You will likely have to seperate it to diagnose the problem.

Zeng
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4610 Transmission fluid leaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can I suport the engine part under the oil pan? Is the oil pan strong enough?

Thanks for the reply

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4610 Transmission fluid leaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I generally do is wedge the front axle so that the engine doesn't tip over when you split her open. I use two floor jacks. One under the transmission housing and the other under the oil pan. You will need a 8x8 piece of blocking to get enough height on the oil pan.
Personally, I roll the front away from the transmission because the front rolls much easier. What I actually do is slide the jack in from the front, between the wheels and MAKE SURE that the jack casters are to the rear. If I have a helper then one guy pushes on each front wheel while steering the jack, and then just roll the front away. Putting it back together just goes in reverse. I've done them alone, but help makes things go smoother and quicker most times.
Technically you're supposed to have a splitting frame and rails, and all that stuff to roll them apart and keep things straight, but use what you got. A buddy of mine uses 2 2x8 pieces of lumber and 4 or 5 rollers between them to roll the engine away, and that's done on a bottle jack...

Rod

phillip d
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4610 Transmission fluid leaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Holy jumpin's,it's been awhile since I helped split a tractor,I completely forgot about wedging the front,the last time we split the 4610 we had I remember now using pieces of 2x4's on each side.I sure would like to have Rod for a neighbour,heck of a handy man to have in the neighbourhood.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4610 Transmission fluid leaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey, you don't have to wedge the front axle.... I didn't once. Made up some new words and cursed under my breath for quite a while too. If I was doing it at home I wouldn't have cursed UNDER my breath.
That was actually on one of those little yap Massey's.
That was the hardest bloody little tractor I ever saw to split in my life. That took THREE floor jacks because the only jack points on the rear half of the tractor wouldn't balance it with one jack. It took two.
This one had a single stage clutch that I bent twice before I got it in right.
Ford's roll apart and back in a few hours when you get good at them (better than me), but those wedges on the front sure help.
Luckily the owner of the Massey was satisfied...

Rod

rdgemmill
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4610 Transmission fluid leaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RodInNS wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:27:42 05/10/0Cool Hey, you don't have to wedge the front axle.... I didn't once. Made up some new words and cursed under my breath for quite a while too. If I was doing it at home I wouldn't have cursed UNDER my breath.
That was actually on one of those little yap Massey's.
That was the hardest bloody little tractor I ever saw to split in my life. That took THREE floor jacks because the only jack points on the rear half of the tractor wouldn't balance it with one jack. It took two.
This one had a single stage clutch that I bent twice before I got it in right.
Ford's roll apart and back in a few hours when you get good at them (better than me), but those wedges on the front sure help.
Luckily the owner of the Massey was satisfied...

Rod

Hey Rod (or anyone else),

I know this is and old thread but I hope youre still out there to field this question. I have a 4610 that needs a new clutch and I am preparing to split it. I will secure the rear end (rear and transmission) and pull the front away using a floor jack and blocking under the oil pan, but for the life of me I cant figure out what you meant by wedging the front axle. So I guess I am dumb as a box of hair, but would you kindly explain this to me?

Thanks a million,

Richard

Mtnfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4610 Transmission fluid leaking Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Slip a wedge shaped block of wood in on top side of the front axle on each side tap them snug with a hammer this prevents the front half from pivoting on the axle , falling off jack , crushing you or the minimum of a cussing from you be mad at tractor and then realizing it was your mistake

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Today's Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters