Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Eclipse

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see a lot of talk about watching it, is a welding helmet safe enough to watch it through. That's how we did it when I was young, but maybe that's why I'm colorblind!

CKain(MI)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NO, welding glass is not safe. maybe two glass together be OK.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The recommendation is for a #14 lens. That is the darkest, I believe, not found very often, typically for large stick welding or gouging.

Like ckain(mi)said, double them up.

When I was a kid, there was an eclipse. We didn't know any better, took a piece of glass, smoked it over a candle, looked through that. Didn't go blind, but probably didn't do us any good!

Here's a chart, gives some idea what welding lens numbers mean.
Welding Lens

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can make a pin hole in a heavy piece of paper, then project the image on another white sheet of paper. It makes a real nice sharp image, and you won't even get a crick in your neck.

PaGlenn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Iam going to view the eclipse in my eclipse

Steve in VA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NASA cites #14 welding glass as safe. Obviously indirect observation via a pin-hole camera is safest. I'm finding that eclipse glasses are mostly sold out and confess that I would worry about counterfeit knock-offs.

El Hombre
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HF specs my auto dark helmet at 13. I'll take a peak thru it, won't stare at the sun for an hour straight.

I have some photo sun filters and going to see what they do combined with the HF....

Seems the 14 recommendation was because they don't make a 15. They just want to CYA and have the darkest possible...

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A welding helmet will work if it isn't one of the auto darkening helmets. Those need the electrical spark to make them work.

JGayman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> A welding helmet will work if it isn't one of the auto darkening helmets. Those need the electrical spark to make them work.

My helmet has a sensitivity adjustment and if I turn it up it will trigger just from sun reflections.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

El Hombre, I think you are right about not staring for an hour.

Moderation is the key.

Wonder how many hours we've all racked up staring into a rising or setting sun while driving?

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I stacked two glasses in an arc welding helmet. I also have several pairs of certified eclipse glasses. They give an almost identical result.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any helmets I've ever used you could look directly at the sun and it would never darken no matter how it was adjusted but immediately upon a welding strike and it would darken. I think before anyone depends on one for the eclipse they better try it now.

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now that's a good one! Smile

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:20:15 08/13/17) Any helmets I've ever used you could look directly at the sun and it would never darken no matter how it was adjusted but immediately upon a welding strike and it would darken. I think before anyone depends on one for the eclipse they better try it now.

Sometimes the sun will darken my auto helmet when I don't want it to.

Dusty

tracto-man
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Eclipse Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My $30 auto darkening HF helmet darkens for the sun. Probably what I'll use. But as already stated I won't look for long.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters