Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

A creeky noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: A creeky noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had our local plow day on Sunday, I took my Super MTA, with the 3x16, 2pt hitch plow, but i got a slight creeky noise, in the left rear wheel. It isn't the wheels weights shifting, the wheel clamp on the axle are tight, there's no grease dripping out where there that felt seal is. I tighten the three bolts under the tractor that the drawbar or 2 pt pulls from. I am stumped other than i got the outer bearing going out ??

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A creeky noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tightness may be a false indicator of clamping pressure. This includes both the rim to wheel clamps, and the axle to wheel clamps. I would loosen each, lubricate the threads, and retorque. If you want to find the issue, put a dab of fingernail polish on each clamp where it touches the rim or axle. Let it dry for an hour and drive it. Cracked polish is a loose fastener. Jim

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A creeky noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree that what it sure sounds like.

Whiskey Bent
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A creeky noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had this happen on a 460. I noticed when I washed it the creek went away for a half hour or so. It was rim creeking on wheel even though bolts were tight. Spray some soapy water see if it goes away for a few min anyway. Ive been told to get a few JD clamps they are slightly bigger and they will tighten them up.

Tom Dowling
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A creeky noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my rim to wheel bolts on my 400 were so rusty on the threads they couldn't be tightened, had to get new ones. but the grindy squeaky sound went away.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: A creeky noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the bolts that hold the center to the rim loose and oil the threads and tighten again.

mwilke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: A creeky noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How about the hub to axle?

mwilke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: A creeky noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

surry! just reread your posting to see you addressed that

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: A creeky noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you loosen bolts and oil them and tighten them down you will have to retighten them several times after use. I use an 8 foot bar to tighten mine and had to check them and tighten them up after pulling it.

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A creeky noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There tighter than the seams on a submarine, i think its the outer bolts from wheel to rim, But thanks to everybody !

George 3
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A creeky noise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

-------------------------------------------------------------
Common issue with all attached clamp rims. The drive lugs on the rims and the clamp both get worn from fretting over a long time period. The easiest way is to build up the mating surface on the attached clamp about a sixteenth of an inch. You need to be good with a grinder to get an original profile but that should tighten the rims to the wheel and avoid creaking. I had this happen on a 1066 years ago and I bought new clamps and built up the rim surface to the original profile. That did the trick.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters