Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rota-tiler spark plug?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old-9
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an older tiller with a 4 HP Brigs engine. Lost the book long ago, what spark plug would be recommended? It runs at a rather low speed and carbons the plug rather fast. Thanks joe

DGinVT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you try a : J-8 Champion plug??

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree, I remember J8's being very common. If it's getting dirty maybe need to lean out the carb, unless it's burning oil, then go a little hotter plug.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

J-8 sounds right. But I wouldn't use Champion they are now junk. I have replaced five new ones in the last month.

DGinVT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are others, but that is the first that came to mind.

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never ever had a problem with Champion spark plugs. If their spark plugs are so bad how does Champion stay in business?

timcasbolt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only time I've had a problem with Champions is when you put 'em in a Chevy. People get some funny ideas about brand loyalty. Just like the Fram filters thing.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jump up to something like a j17lm or j19lm these are hotter.

most any place and even walmart have the lawn mower spark plugs.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is what I would like to know.At one time for me it was Champion or Autolite. No other would do. But it seems the last ten years they have turned to junk. My brother bought a weedeater last month. Pulled on it until his arm was sore.Brought it to me I put in an NGK plug. Started on the first pull. Had a guy bring me the parts for a full service. Installed the plugs,nothing. Put in some NGK plugs turned over started no problem. I have a box of Champion plugs must be thirty of them. All brand new but will not fire.

El Hombre
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One really nice thing about Champion plugs was the model number told you what that specific plug was.

RN-7Y, R is resistor, N was 14mm diameter, .750" long thread, 7 was the heat range, 7 was mid point, they went from 2 to 19, Y was extended tip that stuck down out of the plug body.

Most of the other plugs used code that was hard to remember or didn't describe the plug. And the Champions worked.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For an old 4HP Briggs it ain't all that important. J-8 Champion or equivalent is fine, though really, anything that will fit and makes sparks will work fine. It's not like the engine is working that hard that the heat of the plug will make any difference.

old-9
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Rota-tiler spark plug? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your replys, joe

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters