Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Not for hire?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought the "not for hire" sign was only for PERSONAL use? Lately I have seen "not for hire" written on trailers being pulled behind dump trucks that were clearly commercial enterprises, "So and So Excavating" for example. Some of the trailers even have the business names right on them too!

I had half a mind to stop one of these and ask them, if they're not for hire, would they mind bringing their excavator over to my place and digging out a few stumps for free?

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not for hire ,,,, means for hauling your stuff jobs,,,

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Not for hire " gets into some touchy
areas. Don't guess there is any size
limit on what can be used for
personal use. Also keep in mind:
for hire vehicles are required to
have "operating authority " and the
high dollar liability insurance
limits required by FMCSA. As long as
what is on or in the truck or trailer
belongs to an is going to be used by
that owner : they are not "hire" .

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Not for hire" means nothing except to the guy who has it on his truck or trailer and thinks that the idiot DOT cops will be afraid to pull him over. The DOT guys get a good chuckle out of it. More money for the sign painters.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a company here that runs all over the country that has Not For Hire on the doors. That just means that everything they haul is theirs,steel in,carts out. Back in the day, it also meant you did not need to keep log books(those days are over).

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not for hire means the truck ,[ theoretically] is engaged in hauling the owners owned items it can be on a semi, such as a rig hauling hay that is owned by the truck owner and its going to that owners owned ranch or farm, and all hay will be consumed by his owned stock, the truck may not be used to haul for hire , ie charge a fee for its hauling, if even 1 bale of that hay is sold, then the truck is judged to be engaged in commercial trucking, and fines start rolling in

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As said by others.

There are 3 types of trucks.
Personal
Not for hire
For hire

Personal is for your personal life. A RV or boat. No DOT number needed.

Not for hire is for a business that only hauls its product. The product can be for sale such as a furniture manufacture that only hauls its furniture from its warehouse to the place it is selling the furniture to.
They can even back haul; such as the wood or glue to build the furniture.
In short it just mean that the person that owns the truck owns everything being hauled by the truck.
This truck requires a DOT number if applicable.

For hire is a truck that hauls someone else's product from point A to point B for a cost.
A DOT number and a ICC number is needed for this truck.

Brian Jasper co. Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Not for hire" is DOT code for "Pull me over and give me a ticket."

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless they just changed the law you don't need to run a log book if you stay within 150 mile of home base.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-D beatty wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:50:12 07/28/17) Unless they just changed the law you don't need to run a log book if you stay within 150 mile of home base.

I thought it was 100 miles but I haven't looked in awhile.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop;

It is still 100 air miles for no log book.
The 150 mile rule is for no CDL in a farm plated truck.

JanetWright
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not for hire.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Not for hire? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The law is a hundred air miles from your home base,and you must stop and start from the same place every day.
I can t load at my work shop, and then take the truck home and start my day at my house. You must be able to prove you only work less than 12 hours a day.(no you do not need a log to prove it on the side of the road,but you can be required to prove it) If anythings changes like needing to work extra hours on a single day, you are required to fill out logs on that day only(and report hours for the previous seven days,front cover of a log book.)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters