Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

American Lafrance fire truck transmission

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthies
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: American Lafrance fire truck transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A friend asked me to look at his old fire truck, this is an open station cab with a windshield. Anyway the transmission shift lever has a mushroom collar right below the knob and is connected to a rod that follows the lever into the transmission. And am wondering if this need to slide up in order for the trans to shift gears. The lever goes side to side but won't go into any gear and am thinking this is a locking mechanism, maybe so it won't be knocked into gear while pumping. Also the pin that holds the lever in is moveable and by removing this pin can I lift lever and lock collar/rod out and free up the lock to put truck in gear. Friend thinks maybe engine is seized and wants to make sure trans is free also.

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: American Lafrance fire truck transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What you describe sounds like the reverse lockout.
What I remember is you pull up on lever to engage reverse. Crack the drain plug ans see if you have water in transmission.

John Saeli
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: American Lafrance fire truck transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tell us more about this truck. Year? Gas or diesel? Mid ship pump? What I remember about the mid-ships, was that the tranny was put in high gear to run the pump, but on the outside pump panel was a lever that was shifted to disconnect power to the driveshaft, thus directing it to the pump. What Duner describes, I've only seen on Ford's or GM's, 4 speeds, not the larger trucks.

John Saeli
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: American Lafrance fire truck transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Duner!! Ever get the impression we are talking to ourselves?

Steve S. in PA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: American Lafrance fire truck transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree that the part you describe is a lockout. It is certainly for reverse, and maybe used for low gear also. ( if they are in the same line) Most manufacturers got away from that type of safety device in the mid fifties, and used a spring loaded gate instead.

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: American Lafrance fire truck transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like my friend says, "I could talk all day and no one will listen". Thanks for the laugh!

John Saeli
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: American Lafrance fire truck transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No one ever listens to me, least of all my kids!! I was interested in that LaFrance because when I 1st joined our local Fire Co. 44 years ago as a kid, they had just taken out of service a '40 or '41 American LaFrance Engine. She had a big Flat Head V-12, dual ignition engine. Supposedly LaFrance built their own engines back then. I think it had a 5-SP tranny. I never got to drive it, but heard it purr some before they sold it. It had a 1,000GPM pump & they said she would really pump.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Yesterday's Trucks All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters