Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

electrolysis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
moday
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:25 am    Post subject: electrolysis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried an electrolysis tank last night. Lug nuts look the same this am...rusty and a bit of ford red paint. I used a tablespoon of lye per gallon. Rebar for the positive side and hanging lug nuts off rebar on some electric fence wire. I can use 10 amp setting on 6V and 12V and each only pull about an amp. I tried moving the parts closer to the positive rebar piece this am and seemed like it may have bumped up to 2 amps...or 1 1/2. How long should this take? I was expecting good change this am.

I have some BORAX and could try that too and a lot of people like the sodium carbonate (washing soda) but my friend said lye would take off grease and paint.

Any thoughts on this? How to improve it and how long should it take? Thanks

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: electrolysis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are trying to perform two different processes at the same time it is not going to work. The paint and grease will block the electrolytic action. Grease removal is a chemical process. You need to degrease first with Heavy Duty cleaner like dollar store oven cleaner, then the lye should enable the electrolysis. Paint will lift slowly with either process.

TJ in KY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: electrolysis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check out this site. I had good luck with it for paint and rust removal. You must have a good connection on the part you are trying to clean. I have even taken a file to part to get a good connection
Untitled URL Link

moday
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: electrolysis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was told to use lye and paint will remove. The washing soda won't remove as much stuff...is that true? I'm going to try and get back connection between the parts and the wire hanging them in the solution.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: electrolysis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-moday wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:27:42 10/03/17) I was told to use lye and paint will remove. The washing soda won't remove as much stuff...is that true? I'm going to try and get back connection between the parts and the wire hanging them in the solution.

I have not used electrolysis, but from being in the chemical business, Lye should work better since it is more alkaline. Electrolysis will not break paint down but it will remove the rust that the paint is on so it will lift as I pointed out above.

TJ in KY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: electrolysis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I scraped the bulk of the grease off. I had good luck with the paint coming off. I would pressure wash when they came out and/or scrub with a scotch bright pad
I used the washing soda and an old 6/12 volt charger [

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: electrolysis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice difference

What amp on charger?

TJ in KY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: electrolysis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-David G wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:41:32 10/05/17) Nice difference

What amp on charger?
It is an old (30years) 8 amp charger. When I first put the parts in it, if they are really rusty it would read 8 amps and slowly as the part is cleaned go down to 1 to 2 amps.

jimdog
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: electrolysis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a large fork lift 36 volt battery charger.I have seen it draw over 60 amps.I use washing soda and it will remove paint.I have to keep an eye on the plastic tank as it will get soft and flimsy from the heat.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters