Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

283 diesel rod bolts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the 12 point rod bolts in these engines. I am in the process of putting one together and I am being told to use a ARP bolt instead. I have used there hardware before but it has always been in the automotive applications. My biggest issue with using these ARP bolts is that they are not made for rod applications they are made by them to be used as a regular fastener. I'm thinking I'm gonna just use the regular 12 point stock bolts. Also is it worth making the oil pan on these deeper and extending the sump to hold more oil? Any input appreciated. Thanks

Wisconsin Cowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would just order the rod bolts from an Agco dealer.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would DEFINATELY use the ARP bolts! That's what I put in my IH D-282 rods last winter. You can get any length you want, tensile strength is higher, and mine were less cost than the IH bolts were that MAY be made in China. Do a google search of ARP, bet you will like what you see, and made in the USA too!

Oliver 500 Wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

+1 on this ^

Whenever I rebuild an engine, I use ARP hardware on everything. Rods, mains, head studs, flywheel bolts. Overkill maybe, but when you put so much labor into something like a rebuild do you really want to chance failure of a used fastener or a fastener of unknown source.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I only have done a couple but when I did it I think I drilled and tapped the rods out to 7/16 nf (its been a while) then torqued appropriately. Used plasti gauge to avoid crushing the bearing. Eliminates the weak spot in one.

greg oliver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The rod bolts weren't always the problem . This 1650 had wrist pin failure and ventilated the block. I pulled the crank out and had it checked and reground.

Jd7020
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Call maibach if you want agco ones, they get them strait from wakashaw and are a fraction of the price, I've had both and they are identical.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

True but they are the most common weak spot.

JBR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies I will call Maibach.

brutus49DC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The wrist pins are what causes the bolts to break. ARP makes good stuff. I have been told AC 426 engines had ARP rod bolts from the factory.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bolts are not large enough for the size of engine and that is fact. That's why most every other manufacturers uses larger rod bolts than Waukesha.

brutus49DC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

some of that might be true but there are engines making many times more horse power at 3 or 4x the rpm's than a 310 runs with 3/8 rod bolts, yes they might be small compared to other brands but they don't seem to bother after putting in one piece bushings and 12 pt. bolts, primarily it's the pounding caused by loose 2 piece bushings that broke the bolts

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 283 diesel rod bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Early 283 engines had 7/16inch bolts. I started to work for an Oliver dealer in 1960 and that winter we had 3 88/Super 88 engines that punched holes in the block and in all of them the wrist pin bushings were not in the rods any more.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters