Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1944 H - starting slow?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjoman09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the tractor I have fully "restored" ....runs and working good- I still have one issue. It always starts, but, it starts very slow. Here's what I know; the genny is working and charging...the batt has 6.5 volts ; the battery is 4 months old ; the starter seems to be good ; all cables are new..... when you hit the button- it trys to start- drags- then goes ahead and starts. Any ideas?

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What size battery cable are you using? 6 volt system should be 2 gauge wire.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New cables as in 0 or 00?? If you used the battery cable you buy form auto parts stores now days they will not cut it on a 6 volt system. You need battery cable about as big around as you thumb or index finger not the #2 or #4 auto type cables. Or the starter it self is going bad and if it is then you sorry to say did not do a true restore. A TRUE restore is to bring it back 100% to what it was the day it rolled out of the factory. The term restore is a pet peeve of mine and I hate the term because few do a true restore they just fix it up and call it good

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Battery cables Need to be O gauge. Here is how to test the theory. Use a volt meter from the battery hot terminal to the starter terminal (including the big switch), put it on a 20 volt range if adjustable. Watch the meter when starting. If more than a volt is shown on the meter, the cables are too thin. Jim

banjoman09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just started raining now- again! Will do in the morning! Thanks.

banjoman09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh Lordy I was afraid you would see this! LOL..I know - ok? But you guys are most likely right - I think I bought the 4g or 6g automotive cables. I will look in the morning. Thanks.

hydro70guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remember 6 volt system needs basically twice as heavy wire as a 12 volt system for starter to work the same. Check cables at the connections also.

Joe

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now days on a 6 volt system you have to make your own battery cables. the 2 gauge or 4 gauge that are used on 12 volt system cannot carry the amps needed for a 6 volt system. I bet it you grabbed a battery cable and tried to start it at the same time and you have the auto cables you would find they heat up fast because that cannot carry the amps needed for 6 volts

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"the starter seams to be good"... well was it rebuilt with the restoration or just painted? has to be the starter if all else is new, and no such thing as tractor not starting with automotive cables with a good starter. and yes i know it needs the heavy cables with 6 volt. sure sounds like brushes and bushings worn out in that starter.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does the battery ground cable connect to the battery box? Rusty battery boxes make a poor ground connection. Get a longer cable and ground the battery to a clean bare casting close to the starter. Also make sure the starter mounting is clean and shinny. Rust and paint make poor ground connections.

FBH44
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ground the battery directly to the starter mount bolt. I did that, and my H starts immediately.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTDT.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2 gauge?? No way you need 0 or 00 2 gauge is for cars and trucks

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Original battery cables on an H were 2 gauge. Replacing with 1 gauge is a big improvement. 0 gauge is very little improvement, and 00 gauge is totally unnecessary. If the tractor will not start easily with 1 gauge cables, there is another problem somewhere.

banjoman09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1944 H - starting slow? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes- your right......I bought auto cables- am working on the problem....thanks.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters