Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ka-Bang !

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the Pennsylvania turnpike coming home from Hershey car show. Big
semi goes past on the left and just as the rear of his trailer is in
line with the front of my Expedition. .....POWWWWW!! Pieces flying
and sparks throwing. Lucky for me it was one of the tires on the front
drivers side of the trailer. Didn't need a change but it sure keeps
your heart thumpin for a few miles! Mile post 306.5. Plenty of burnt
tire smell till he could pull over.

Fawteen
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Given all the remnants I've seen laying along the road, I've often wondered why I haven't witnessed the actual event.

Makes me a little nervous, especially on the bike...

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use a yard truck to go between my warehouses, top speed maybe 15 if Im not pulling a reefer. Had one inside rear blow. (Only 4 on the rear.) Pieces went flying and I just about had to go home and change pants. I still find small pieces of it inthe truck now, and that was 3 years ago.

slim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Isn't that the truth. When I hear a recap bumping beside me I put some distance between it and me as quickly as possible.

slim

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I headed out at 3am. Got up beside a big rig just as he blew a tire. I was awake for the rest of the day.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I doubt the thumping you hear is a failing tite, they do thhat when they are out of balance which happens a lot. If a tire is coming apart it is a seconds long process. But it is good to not be there anyway.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was taking the company truck, F450, to get new rear tires.

It had the factory rear tires, not many miles but one of the fronts suddenly blew out, and we replaced them. The rears were the same age, so didn't trust them.

I was running 60 on the freeway, just as a little white car started around me, (He must have been running close to 100!) the outside left let go! The entire tread went flying over the white car!

Of course by the time he reacted, it was over. He went on down the road, no damage that I could see. Bet he had a story to tell!

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Both duals blew out on one of our single axle pointless hitch combine trailers on HWY 30 in Idaho with a boom that I'm sure could be heard for a mile or more. The trailer was very low slung so that side went down on the road in a shower of sparks as it slowed to a stop. A small car was close tailgating the trailer when it happened and the car stopped behind the trailer. The shook up car driver got out and asked if everyone was OK in a shaking voice. I'll bet he hasn't tailgated a truck since then. LOL

Another time we were in a convoy on I80 somewhere in Wyoming when the truck two trucks ahead of me blew a tire. The boom was so loud I thought my truck blew the tire. One of the things I absolutely hated about the harvest was changing a trailer tire on I80. We always had the spares and tools along to do it ourselves but it was not a safe or easy job. Eventually we added an axle to each trailer to make them triples and the tire problems ended.

Whenever there was several of us in a convoy, if the lead truck came up on on tire shreds on the road he would radio back to the rest of the truck reporting the shreds aren't from one of us.

Dan in North Houston
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

was passing a semi on the interstate, almost even with the back of the trailer when one of the left rear tires blew. He had the white fiberglass type mud flaps, and that exploded into a cloud of white stuff. Since I was driving a white Suburban, I first thought that I had blown up. I quickly realized that I was OK, but the friend in the passenger seat about had a heart attack...

gab
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guy a mile up the road from me got killed on I80 in Iowa a few years ago. Was pulled of the road with semi problems, with a wrecker and state cop there. The whole thing got rear ended with another semi and I think at least two out of the three got killed.

RBoots
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've blown plenty of truck tires, but never a super single. I can only imagine the noise one of those will make. We have to pick the caps off the highway in the spring and before holiday weekends at work. When a complete intact cap from a super single lays there, it will almost take 2 guys to get it in the back of a pickup. They are long, heavy, and awkward.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh If you have never blowen a super single , WOW . I blew one one hot summer afternoon just as i got off I680 heading to the steel mill with a load of what was called Blast furnace fines . I have just started making my turn and had just dumped the air off the lift axle and the left tire on the lift axle let go . This happened in a black neighbor hood and there were lots of folks setting on there ft. porches , when that tire let go people were running for all they were worth in every direction . There was not a sole left setting on any porch you could see.

Chris English
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was going for another load of blacktop on the interstate following two guys in a convertable with the top down, maybe a MG or the like. One guy wearing a fancy driving hat. Well a tour bus going the speed of light went around us and just as he got next to the little convertable........Bang!! One of the buses rear tires blew and I saw that hat get blown right off his head!

mj
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Fawteen wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:07:33 10/06/17) Given all the remnants I've seen laying along the road, I've often wondered why I haven't witnessed the actual event.

Makes me a little nervous, especially on the bike...

Yup - about 25 years ago I saw a 'gator' go horizontal as it came off a big truck's trailer and clean a guy and his wife off of the road bike that they were on. The guy was taking his sweet time passing the truck when the tire let go and that as they say was that, if you 'dilly-dally' when passing you are asking for trouble! Rolling Eyes

JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ka-Bang ! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup, heard that same boom a couple of weeks ago on the Interstate. Was 1 car back and in the next lane when I heard it along with a big cloud of dust and then the tread flying up in the air. Thought it was going to hit the high-voltage power lines above. The tread came down behind the truck and the guy behind the truck swerved into my lane to avoid it. As he moved over, I just went to the shoulder, kind of nerve wracking at 70 MPH. Shocked We were all showered with smaller pieces as we drove through it. One decent sized chunk DID hit the guy next to me but he just kept going. Luckily, it was the right side and a lot of the stuff blew out onto the shoulder and grassy area. If it had been left side, I'm sure it would have been worse for the surrounding cars. Like others, I try to pass these guys quickly but in this case, the guy directly ahead of me was content to just dawdle along next to the semi. I remember grumbling under my breath about him not passing and getting out of the way.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters