Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

spark tester

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davyfireball
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want to tell you about a new tool I just got it's a spark tester- has a alligator clamp you put to ground and you can test coils or plug wires with it. Cost me $6.90 = Before I would just grab a hold of that wire grit my teeth and and was knocked on my ---$ this is so much better. Some of those cars will weld your fillings together. Shocked

JGayman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Picture?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it did not come with instructions here they are save and are print. Not all spark is equal are different types of ignition require a different test setting. Enjoy your new tool its the cats meow.

http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1170719&highlight=spark

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"has a alligator clamp you put to ground and you can test coils or plug wires with it."

Very handy tool for troubleshooting ignition.

Used one yesterday morning to check spark plug wire and spark plug on JD Model 70 tractor.

Tried to get photo of "light" burning while the tractor was running, but was not quick enough taking the photo.

kevinthefixer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To catch that, you'd probably have to shoot video then extract a single frame. It's more like a strobe than a light bulb.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello davyfireball,

Sounds like a handy tool HE!HE!. I have made a few. The little one I bought when electronic ignitions
first came out. The big one I made out of an old plug. Store bought has a fixed gap, mine I can gap the
plug wider,

Guido.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-James Howell wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:46:12 10/05/17) "<font color="#6699ff">has a alligator clamp you put to ground and you can test coils or plug wires with it.</font>"

Very handy tool for troubleshooting ignition.

Tried to get photo of "light" burning while the tractor was running, but was not quick enough taking the photo.

I like lights they have their place can you tell me how it tells you spark health I know it blinks… If the light blinks how do you know its producing adequate spark to fire the event. Do you make a guess if the light blinks all is well with spark event.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Hobo,NC

That is why I made mine with a spark plug. If the spark can jump 3/16" or better, it sure will fire a plug with a 1/3 the gap! That's my theory and I am sticking to it

Guido.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's cool bro I hope it never bites you in the arse... BTDT...

Its worth the small investment even tho guys that claim to have 40 years experience and schooled will never get it.... I will admit it took me awhile to get a grip on it... Crying or Very sad

A tool that don't lie is worth its weight in gold to me anyways...

4play
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have all the testers in the above pics, the one's with a built in light are hard to gauge spark quality but after using it awhile you can get an idea of good vs weak by light intensity but I still like seeing the actual spark.

My goto spark tester is homemade. I soldered a 2ft long wire to spark plug threads with an alligator clip on the other end. I just broke the ground electrode off to let the center terminal arc to outer shell. I like the extended length of the ground wire because lot of times there is not a good ground to clip to, especially on COP coil ignition and then you can usually move the plug to a more visual area.

El Hombre
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our shop had a Champion tester/cleaner. You threaded the plugs into an air tight chamber with a window just above the plug ends. Then hook up the wire and adjust the air pressure higher until it blew the spark out. Much better test than just open air.

The airplane guys still use them, their plugs can be $50 each and have two per cylinder. They clean, test, and use them.

DMartin9N-2N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: spark tester Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Almost off topic, I have an old Champion Plug cleaner/ tester that still works, I use it for tractor spark plugs, sometimes not even using the sand-blast feature. I figure if a plug will fire under air pressure, it may fire in the tractor engine. Of course, this is not a guarantee, but usually is true.

I think when folks giving advice say plugs wet with gas will not fire, I think there is another cause for not starting that needs to be found, a coating of gasoline on a plug will not stop the 20,000 volts from making a spark. The wet plug is an EFFECT of not starting, NOT the CAUSE. Just my humble opinion.

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters